bottle books?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

goaliewb

Reaction score
I see mention of bottle books people refer to.
can anyone give me some good titles to look into?
thanks!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Is there any particular information you're looking for? The good bottle books are almost always highly specialized and quite expensive. The general price guides (Kovel's, Unitt's, etc.) are nearly useless. I know there's a good directory of soda companies in Ontario because RCO refers to it a lot, but I'm not sure what the title is. It might be Ontario Soda Water Bottles by Hostetler and Carter, I don't have a copy of that one. I'm not sure what the other resources are like for Ontario, I've got a bootleg copy of a book called The Ontario Soda Water Bottle Collector's Index and Price Guide by J.A. Herr, but it was published 50 years ago and isn't particularly useful for much other than getting an idea of some, but not nearly all, bottles that are out there.

RCO

Reaction score
there is several different bottle books from Unitt's , I would agree the prices in them aren't especially useful but there Is still pictures of bottles in them and other info , these books are often found in used book stores or thrift stores even yard sales for very reasonable prices

I do have a book called " Ontario soda water bottles " by hostetler and carter , its from the 70's , has some useful info in it , saw a few copies for sale at the bottle show

for Toronto soda bottles is a book called " Toronto embossed and etched bottles by Dean Axelson , it has a lot of pictures , dates and info in it , seems to go for around $50 at the bottle show

also a series of books by Glen Phillips ( no pictures in them , all lists by town / city of bottlers with dates of operation ) won't likely see any copies for sale though , could check your local library and see if they have any ,

Ontario soda water manufacturers and brewers list 1851-1930

Ontario pop bottlers list 1931-1965

Ontario dairy and creamery list 1900-1950

Ontario dairy and creamery list 1950-1965

Ontario druggist list ? not sure of exact title but is one for druggist bottles as I've seen it at the library here

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Oh I had no idea the Glen Phillips books were so comprehensive. I'll definitely have to check to see whether my library has any of those one of these days.

RCO

Reaction score
they only cover Ontario , so you'd only likely find any at libraries in Ontario . ( they also just cancelled inter library loans in Ontario so you couldn't loan/borrow a copy from another library if there was one willing to loan it out )

the Milk ones seem to be the most common , I've seen the odd copy on ebay now and then . you never see the druggist one , it seems to be the hardest to find , other than the copy at library not sure I've seen any others

my library used to have a copy of the soda water / brewers list but it " disappeared " a couple years ago so I then bought my own

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora