Bottle bottoms with elaborate maker's mark found near Toledo

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
WOW Kirsti, et al,

A real stumper. Dave W's 2nd offering ends with the anagram TOMB. If that center design is a spade/shovel could this be the preferred bot of a grave digger's union? :rolleyes: ;) (Kirsti, You are probably right.)

Last edited:

DavidW

Reaction score
I only mentioned Toledo as my friend found the shards there. I do still like the idea from Len that the T makes a shovel. Maybe the O is a hole. Like would a company that dug holes in Toledo have a special bottle? the world famous Edward Martin Brooks Toledo Spade Oil. OK maybe not.
I have looked for EMB Toledo Ohio but have come up with nothing, alas. I haven't head back about the other markings on the bottom either. Do you think maybe it's not a bottle bottom but instead is some industrial piece like a fancy fuse cover or something?
NO it is definitely a bottle bottom. Looks like a soda bottle. The faint marking looks like 20 N, which would indicate American Bottle Company, made at their Newark, Ohio location in 1920. Or....maybe it is something else and I am not reading it correctly! ?

DavidW

Reaction score
It may be Modes-Turner brothers from Indiana.???
No, the mark used by Modes-Turner Glass Co is only an M and a T, definitely no other letters. I have a picture of the Modes-Turner mark on my website (glassbottlemarks.com) on "page 4".

timeandabottle

Reaction score
No, the mark used by Modes-Turner Glass Co is only an M and a T, definitely no other letters. I have a picture of the Modes-Turner mark on my website (glassbottlemarks.com) on "page 4".
I was thinking a possible combo only used for a short time. The M and T certainly match. That was a great site-nice work.

garyflynn

Reaction score

Attachments

• BM monogram.jpg
    BM monogram.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 47

Bob_Stahr

Reaction score
I think I see a 20N marking below the logo. That would indicate the bottle was made in 1920 at the Newark, OH American Bottle glass factory.

My guess is Edward Mohr Bottling Co. Toledo Ohio.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Gary, and all,
Your friend's find certainly has merit. The damage to the right side is somewhat similar as well. Still, why the well formed shovel from the handle down? I dig it! ;)

embe

Reaction score
Instead of an "M" perhaps it's a "V". Making it H-V-B-T-O (or something...)

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu