bottle diggers....ever think of yourself as a looter?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pchan

Reaction score
well since the conversation is in English, I assumed it would be obvious....must be my accent. Granted I speak Canadian English, which may sound foreign to most members here.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Oh I thought you were implying you were a native of England.
Looter is very English (I think they looted the word from the Hindus).
I like the German ... Plünderer.

sandchip

Reaction score
Doesn't matter what we think. The majority of archs paint us as looters, and they're the ones the legislators and the media are gonna listen to when legislation is introduced restricting digging, collecting or selling what you find. It's happened in several states. Don't think it can't happen in yours. The UN wants collecting of any antiquity banned worldwide. How 'bout them apples?

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: sandchip

Doesn't matter what we think. The majority of archs paint us as looters, and they're the ones the legislators and the media are gonna listen to when legislation is introduced restricting digging, collecting or selling what you find. It's happened in several states. Don't think it can't happen in yours. The UN wants collecting of any antiquity banned worldwide. How 'bout them apples?

Like I said before, I will become a pirate. Quit my job and dig bottles under the cloak of darkness. [:D]

862BA5C340D342538C39A4BEE1884CB2.jpg

Attachments

• 862BA5C340D342538C39A4BEE1884CB2.jpg
    862BA5C340D342538C39A4BEE1884CB2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 99

reach44

Reaction score
While scraping a hillside along a highway for shards and bottles, a trooper stopped and asked what I was doing and I told him I was picking up trash. He left me alone. [:D]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the UN. We don't even implement the things they come up with that seem like good ideas, We aren't likely to start with bottle digging.
The biggest threat I see to diggers is the recent trend towards for-profit archaeology companies.
Instead of working off grants and donations they have to go out and round up work to get paid.
Their goal is to have the laws dictate archeologists need to be brought in anytime anything old is found (like road being cut or a privy during a house renovation maybe?)
This puts them in direct competition with diggers.
The good old capitalist system bites us in the butt yet again.

Plumbata

Reaction score
In a sense yes, but more like a "White-trash Indiana Jones" kinda looter than the thieves who go out and dig up Indian burials in the middle of the night. Digging dumps full of old garbage is very different from looting sacred and intentionally-arranged human burials.

sandchip

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Plumbata
Digging dumps full of old garbage is very different from looting sacred and intentionally-arranged human burials.

Not in the eyes of the GA DNR, I'm afraid. They've gone nuts.

sunrunner

Reaction score
Re: RE: bottle diggers....ever think of yourself as a looter?

iv been a dump pirate for 42 years,whan I first started most people did not cair a dam what I found. then big money came along, and now every body thinks only how valuable thare myonas jar is.Well whan I cleanout some of my common stuff im at the flimarkit selling hoods,and duffys,and winslows for .75 cents.thares alwas more were thay came from.

surfaceone

Reaction score
pchan said:
... and they referred to people looking for bottles as looters....digging bottles to sell...

Hey pchan, Consider the source of that "looters" quote: http://www.pbs.org/opb/timeteam/sites/ftjames/ "Obviously, another crucial source of information regarding Fort James was the membership of the Rockport Colony. Fortunately, several of the colony elders were anxious to share the information they possessed and to show us artifacts that had been collected over many years around the ruins of the Fort." http://www.pbs.org/opb/timeteam/sites/ftjames/diary_adrien.php Me, I'd consider it an honor to be called a "looter" by the likes of the Peoples Broadcasting Sychophants.
boy_with_bucket_and_old_bottles.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu