Bottle Disasters

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Care to share your worst bottle disasters? Tumbling tragedy, display disaster, digging damage or just plain dropping it--tell and show them here. It's a serious thing to break good bottles, but I think it could be a good laugh for us all as we share what we've done.
I myself have been fortunate to have broken little. One of my S.S. Coca-Cola Bottling Co. bottles was half destroyed, though, by the man coming to quote prices on window replacement. He's walking in, coat catches and launches my bottle into the ground. No worries! It was already damaged, but the top shattered. As I started laughing, his face turned red and he kept slowly saying, "I'm sorry," over and over and over.
This morning, upon opening my curtain, I had an inspirational disaster--inspiration for this thread, lolz. You see, my window's ledge/top is too small to hold any bottles save for small ones. Upon drawing the curtain aside, a damaged Muskegon Brewery bottle-- the largest in the window-- fell down and and hit a broken ACL Michigan Maid bottle, thus launching it into my first bottle--a Citrate of Magnesia-- that blew into a large-mouthed bottle which spun into the-only-example-I've-seen of a Diekman Bottling Works, Monroe, Michigan bottle, then rebounding into an 1800s Detroit Fredrick Stearns bottle, a modern Sioux City then flies backwards, and a few other bottles are shoved past--including a copy-cat-type of 1890s sauce which then in turn rolled off the shelf and smashed into an 1800s champagne bottle that itself rolled off, thus causing a few items on that shelf to collapse onto the next shelf then rolling onto the floor as one of my paws shoots out to still try and stop the already-fallen Brewery bottle as well as catch, at first with my other, my favorite sauce bottle which I give-up on in an instant and reach for my champagne. Blessedly, the only damage was done to the broken ACL and some shells from the lake. Somehow, the Brewery bottle--which I had initially re-glued. Oh, yeah: The Root blob of mine narrowly escaped being smacked.

fer_de_lance

Reaction score
I had the misfortune to watch my namesake hutch "Pillow Brothers" Dyersburg, Tenn take a nosedive from the passenger seat of my Ford F-250 onto a concrete driveway. I still need a replacement, please contact me if you have one for sale. Only other I can recall is a circa 1780ish English cylinder bouncing down the basement steps to its ultimate demise.
Tim Pillow

Bottleworm

Reaction score
I was at a flea market once and this guy had a ton of bottles on this one table and a woman walked by and her huge purse hit a beautiful greenish aqua iron pontil squat soda from a very small town in southern Illinois. Went flying and smashed into bits and pieces. Made me sick. She was like oh sorry how much do I owe. She about lost it when he said $325! She said how can a bottle be worth that much! I would have loved to have that bottle but some stupid chick with a big stupid purse ruined a rare bottle! Never dropped or lost any of my bottles. Did have 2 completely smashed due to a terrible pack job.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Gee! I'd be mortified. Shoulda swept the pieces and got rubber cement. Lol.
My first bottle by mail arrived damaged. It is my first Hutch. He replaced it with an identical and extra. Good guy. :D

glass man

Reaction score
Only glass that I broke was in reaching for my LUDEN COUGH DROPS that was light amber and looked just like a cabin..the roof as the lid..the bottom fell don with the roof after it..at first I was glad as the bottom was not hurt..but the roof hit and was in many many pieces..though a repro.I still loved it,,[original ones go pretty high..they come in amber..clear and in another color I don't remember..you can tell if original ecause the ront door has rope loop latch on the outside instead of a door knob]JAMIE

bottlerocket

Reaction score
Never really broke one but twice this year I unearthed the tops of 2 blobs. I do not own a blob and I know I can buy one but to find one is a goal of mine.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
You will some time. [:D]
I myself am getting closer--three hand-tooled items in my 2-years of this hobby. :)

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi