Bottle Enthusiasts

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
This forum (or its predecessor) was a rough place when I joined in 2003. I didn't stay long. When I checked in on the forum many years later, the ownership had changed and the worst moderators were gone. The forum was a much more pleasant place to exchange info.

What recently has slowed my interest in the forum has been the increased interest in MODERN soda bottles, a category of collecting that doesn't seem to fit into an ANTIQUE bottle forum.

No doubt, the ACL collectors are a growing group, and perhaps they should form their own forum elsewhere.

sandchip

Reaction score
...No doubt, the ACL collectors are a growing group, and perhaps they should form their own forum elsewhere.

I don't know if I'd go that far, since we already have a section for that on this site, my reason being that when I started collecting my first bottle was a hobbleskirt Coke, but I really thought that I had reached the pinnacle of bottledom when I found a pyramid RC bottle from 1936 with the beautiful red and yellow print, little knowing that my collection would slowly evolve through the years to focus on colored pontiled bottles from various categories.

Who knows? One's love for this:

RC.jpg

...might one day lead to this:

L&C.jpg

I can only suggest that we embrace and nurture all collectors of old bottles if this hobby of ours is to survive.

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
This forum (or its predecessor) was a rough place when I joined in 2003. I didn't stay long. When I checked in on the forum many years later, the ownership had changed and the worst moderators were gone. The forum was a much more pleasant place to exchange info.

What recently has slowed my interest in the forum has been the increased interest in MODERN soda bottles, a category of collecting that doesn't seem to fit into an ANTIQUE bottle forum.

No doubt, the ACL collectors are a growing group, and perhaps they should form their own forum elsewhere.
To many collectors including myself, ACL bottles are old enough to be considered collectible and have value. If you start limiting the the forum to exclusive groups, see how fast it becomes stagnant. No new users will be attracted. But I would welcome a name change for the site, to Vintagebottles.net.

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
Forums in general, for me anyway, have changed a lot over the last several years, with many people that were on forums joining in on the Facebook games, yes I follow Facebook but post very little, too many times that I ask a decent question I just get some smart-a**'s comments in return, I just delete the posts and move on, I think that kind of negativity keeps me from posting much anymore, I like to showoff a new piece as much as the next person would want to, regaurdless of rarity or value, if there's a story behind it, I still want to either tell it, or listen to what others have to say about the piece, but still, I just don't post as much as in the past.....:rolleyes:
Facebook is toxic and I don't even use it. Plus the fact they are selling people's info to advertisers.

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
I joined this site looking for other bottle enthusiasts and knowledgable people to share their expertise. Yet, it's mostly the same half-dozen people who get involved. Although I see a huge amount of hits, there is not a lot of dialogue. Honestly, I didn't foresee the site as a social media sort of venue. I thought there would be a little more interaction and people sharing their expertise and research on bottles. Yes, there's Google, etc., but I think we can all agree that the people out there digging, collecting, hunting, researching, probing and scratching should post the experiential side of it as well. I'm just as guilty folks, I have recently posted mainly finds, but I'm sure there is a large group of people who know a hell of a lot more than I do. I merely write this to encourage participation, not to project guilt, be a contrarian, or discourage posting. We all share the same interest and hobby, but, speaking for myself, don't share the same knowledge.
There's also some users here who don't respond or interact with other people's posts, only the posts they create themselves. Which seems very self centered. They know who they are.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I remember the old days when you had many instigators & trouble makers in here. They all left & some before facebook was around or popular. I used to post more when I was digging lots of Privy's many years ago but that spot after many years has dried up & must of dug 100 privy's in that area. I've barely dug anything this year but that might change by Tomorrow, Saturday as I'll be out looking for a town dump & possibly some Privy's. LEON.

nhpharm

Reaction score
I try to add whenever I can...of course 3 kids and life gets in the way. Been on here a long time and remember the turbulent times. I don't have any concerns about ACL's and newer bottles being discussed...not everyone is into every type of bottle but in the end it is all part of the hobby. This forum has always had a lot of "lurkers" and guests...many of my threads have thousands of hits and in some cases, no comments. Just the nature of a forum that is being financially supported by advertising rather than forum members. Unfortunately a lot of the extremely knowledgeable people have left a long time ago...and in some cases I don't blame them. Sometimes people don't know when to simply say "thank you" rather than call a response into question or start an argument. Anyways, I'm a digger and I will continue to post my digs to my long thread in the digging forum as well as chime in on other topics when I have something interesting to say...

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown