Bottle ID from dump site

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jc3443

Reaction score
Greetings all. First post here as I have not been involved in bottle collecting, etc. We just bought a new place in August and I located an old dump site on the property. There is a nearby railroad tunnel which was built about 1909 and the site is close enough to be a camp area for some of the construction workers but I don't think this bottle dates from that early. Anyway, here is the one I'm trying to identify. It's about 9 inches tall and about 5 wide. It has the "Federal law forbids sale or re use of this bottle" in raise letters at the upper rear side, which I understand dates it to after prohibition. It has rope style scrollwork on the front and back. On the base it has "R174" "12-9" and "design patents pending". The front has two spots for labels including a round area towards the top and a rectangular one below. I also found a license plate from 1937 close by so I am thinking it would date from the same time frame.

I located several other intact bottles with one being a "Clicquout Club" bottle which I was able to identify pretty quickly. Having the company name cast into the bottle makes it easy for even a bottle newb like me to figure it out.

IMG_6737.JPG

hemihampton

Reaction score
From that time frame 1930's-50's the best Bottles to find would be Milks & ACL (painted labels) Soda Bottles. And old Rusty Beer Cans. Welcome to the site. LEON.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
Pic of Clicquot Club Can from 1937. Let me know if you find any of these. LEON.View attachment 235896
The Clicquot Club company always fascinated me, they had such an early edge on the soda competition but lost in the cola wars. I use to pronounce it Klee-Kwoh until I excavated an old wooden soda crate that litterally told me the proper way to say it was "Klee-Ko" (I felt like history was mocking me for not knowing and so tossed this artifact 100 years into the future just to mess with me). I still think their confusing name contributed to their downfall.

I have never found an intact steel motor-oil style CC soda can unfortunately.
20220330_023024.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky