bottle thief charged

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
If any of the stolen merchandise is an indication, we are looking for one suspect, or maybe a pair who are related. The same sorts of bottles, small inks, pharmacies,and other easy to grab items are what's being taken. It is not enough to simply watch your table, these folks are quick. We must catch them in the act and then hold them for the authorities, with force if necessary. Several of us a sick and tired of this nonsense and will not stand for it to continue.

Jane, most of us a more than willing to let folks take bottles outside to look them over in sunlight, if we are familiar with that collector. Strangers, no. Our shows are still great fun and huge social events. Visiting with friends is a big part of every show, as is shopping for items for yourself and to sell. For those reasons, many of us have no qualms with leaving the tables unattended at times. Until recent years, it was completely safe to walk away from the sales table, but it's unfortunate that now when you do so you are taking a calculated risk. Not a good situation, and one that needs to be rectified.

glass man

Reaction score
I GET SORTA WORRIED WHEN I SET UP ON THE DAY BEFORE THE SHOW. USUALLY STARTS AT 3PM AND LASTS TILL 8PM. I LEAVE BEFORE IT IS OVER LEAVING MY WARES UNATTENDED. ALSO I DON'T ALWAYS GET BACK TO THE SHOW WHEN IT HAS STARTED THE NEXT DAY. SO FAR NOTHING STOLEN! EVEN WHEN AT MY TABLE I WORRY ABOUT SMALL ITEMS LIKE MARBLE,SMALL BOTTLES ETC. I DID HAVE A FRIEND THAT HAD A TOP TO A AYER'S HAIR VIGOR STOLEN,WHICH MAKES A FAIR DEFFERENCE IN WHAT THE BOTTLE IS WORTH. SAD! THANKFULLY,I SAT UP TO SOME ONE I KNOW WELL AND WE WATCH EACH OTHERS TABLE,PLUS NINA AND I GO TOGETHER SO ONE OR THE OTHER IS ALWAYS AT THE TABLE,BUT WHEN DEALING WITH A CUSTOMER IT IS EASY TO GET DISTRACTED. SAD TIMES!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Ron Rainka had a rare ink stolen off his table at Keene this year. Well publicized and, AFAIK, not yet recovered. I think it was a Snow St. Louis umbrella in good color, but don't quote me.

Things ARE that bad in the east...

Jim G

GuntherHess

Reaction score
One or two bottles are sad but not an epidemic. I guess if you are really concerned you can just bring a glass case and only take out bottles to show on request ... or just sell on fleabay. Just keep in mind all buyers are not criminals and they dont like to be treated that way.

sandchip

Reaction score
Hell, we're on camera everywhere we go, so what's the biggie with being under surveilliance at a show? I got not a thing to hide.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
If you want to have a camera watching you table I dont have a problem with that. Putting a sign out saying 'YOU ARE BEING WATCHED, DONT STEAL ANYTHING' or the likes, I think is rude and would drive me away as an honest customer.

T D

Reaction score
putting it on Fleabay, what a dumb ass...

Sorry to go off task a bit, but gotta tell a quick story about a dumbass on ebay. My daughter and several others had Ipods stolen from an apartment at college last year. She and a friend got on ebay a few days later and searched by their college town and Ipods. They found the same items for sell (even hers that was inscribed with her name) by a guy. My daughter looked at the ebay name, then got her University directory, found a name that was very similar to the ebay name and finally found his facebook page. DA had pictures of his bed in his room, with sheets on it that were the same background that the Ipod picture for ebay was taken on. Guy was arrested the next day...the cops were disappointed that my daughter is majoring in history rather that criminal justice. Just when you thought people couldn't get any dumber...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu