Bottles everywhere

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BottleEnthusiast

Reaction score
i found a creek with so many broken milks. It would be super suprising to not find a single whole one but apparently there isn’t, is there a chance the farmer broke the bottles before he threw them in the creek?

Last edited:

moodorf

Reaction score
You worded this in a way that is confusing the heck outta me lol

This creek is filled with, I'm taking it as, broken milk bottles? and you're asking: did the farmer producing the milk and bottles break the bottles before dumping them in the creek....?

Me two cents: I too, have stumbled across an area in a creek with tons of broken milk bottles. But in my case, I saw a whole bunch of steel milk crates about the same age as the bottles, strewn about the creek bank. So in my case, it was probably someone dumping the crates and bottles--possibly even still filled with milk--into my creek decades ago.

Last edited:

BottleEnthusiast

Reaction score
You worded this in a way that is confusing the heck outta me lol

This creek is filled with, I'm taking it as, broken milk bottles? and you're asking: did the farmer producing the milk and bottles break the bottles before dumping them in the creek?
Yea sorry for the bad wording, that is what I am asking

moodorf

Reaction score
I can't really say whether they were broken or not before going into the creek.....sounds like they were dumped there all at once if there's a big concentration of them in the creek.

Sounds like you won't know if there are any intact bottles down there unless you get down there and look.

But don't look around down there if it's private property

gdog68

Reaction score
Some of the dumps I have visited have had old bricks and stones thrown over top which can lead to a lot of broken glass, find whole ones every once and while. I would go back and do some deeper looking if you haven't already, as long as its not private or get permission from landowner.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
There's a good chance that you've found the dump for a dairy farm, and those were all the milks which broke during the filling and cleaning process. I know of a city dump which has a layer of nothing but broken milk bottles, all from the same dairy. Typically a person wouldn't break that many milks during day-to-day use, and wouldn't often throw them out intact since they were supposed to be returned to the dairy - the milkman would collect the empties while delivering the new milk. Are they all from the same dairy? If they're from a bunch of different dairies then they may be competitors' bottles which were returned to the wrong dairy, although in that case they wouldn't necessarily bother breaking them all beforehand.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp