Bottles turning purple?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
I've seen deep purple irradiated bottles for sale on Ebay with no disclaimer stating that they have been modified, which is against the site policy. I don't like bottles that have been artificially colored this way. It's ruining the historical value of an item. So I agree with what willong said.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I've seen deep purple irradiated bottles for sale on Ebay with no disclaimer stating that they have been modified, which is against the site policy. I don't like bottles that have been artificially colored this way. It's ruining the historical value of an item. So I agree with what willong said.
ASC is a term they use. Amethyst Sun Colored.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

willong

Reaction score
but not near our civilized G-type star, even on the planet Mercury
I don't know about that since Mercury receives nearly seven times the solar irradiance that Earth does and has only 1% the magnetosphere strength at surface. Since it is also a factor in the colorization, how long duration of exposure are you willing to consider? I suspect that an exposure of just a few MERCURIAL DAYS at its equator might produce a noticeable lavender hue.

Jamdam

Reaction score
This is why I love this site. I can’t imagine having resources like this during most of my bottle collecting days. Just ask and someone out there can help.

Here’s my contribution. A 1/2 pint uServo milk. I did not apply any contrast to see the embossing, just white light to show color with no editing. I don’t collect milk bottles so don’t know much about this one other than age range. I keep it to demonstrate selenium colorization when i give the occasional talk.
41BBE904-A173-4719-8554-1A7913CE1372.jpeg

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
This is why I love this site. I can’t imagine having resources like this during most of my bottle collecting days. Just ask and someone out there can help.

Here’s my contribution. A 1/2 pint uServo milk. I did not apply any contrast to see the embossing, just white light to show color with no editing. I don’t collect milk bottles so don’t know much about this one other than age range. I keep it to demonstrate selenium colorization when i give the occasional talk.View attachment 233031
Nice example. Hard color to call, to me it looks light rose beige.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Csa

Reaction score
I have a few 1920s small milks that have a light rose/beige tint. I thought the magnesium usage was stopped well before that.
By far the best SCA bottle I have dug is a little Albion Maryland whiskey bottle circa 1900-1910 I believe.
878E99DD-E67A-4DF5-9695-320F8A7E5078.jpeg
84ACA1AA-2455-48E8-964E-DF0718C183FA.jpeg

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Recycled glass with manganese can be found in later bottles. This 1952 Coca-Cola hobbleskirt glows a nice green. From Newark, N.J.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Attachments

• 20211224_033007.jpg
    20211224_033007.jpg
    727.3 KB · Views: 136

DavidW

Reaction score

Here’s my contribution. A 1/2 pint uServo milk. I did not apply any contrast to see the embossing, just white light to show color with no editing. I don’t collect milk bottles so don’t know much about this one other than age range. I keep it to demonstrate selenium colorization when i give the occasional talk.View attachment 233031
This color, or slight variations, when seen in some insulators (such as some types made by Dominion, McLaughlin, and Whitall Tatum) , is usually called "Straw" or "Peach" in the insulator price guides, and among insulator collectors.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I won't buy those deep purple bottles where you can barely see the light through them, I don't understand the appear of those. I am more forgiving of the medium-shade purple, because natural sunlight will do that if the bottle has been laying out in the sun for a century so you can't be sure they're artificially irradiated. Here's a shard of glass I recently came across on a sand dune which I can guarantee was never artificially irradiated:
1660512406492.jpeg

I've seen the same shade on mine tailings in the mountains. Never found anything intact with that shade of purple unfortunately. In both cases it was in places that are covered by snow half the year. For those of you who live in the desert, what's the deepest purple that you find on the surface? I would imagine that it would be quite a bit darker if it hadn't been covered over every winter.

There are also those deep purple insulators that I initially assumed were irradiated, but of course an insulator would be open to the sun the whole year no matter how cold it got in the winters, so I now suspect that they actually turned that colour while on the poles if they were left up long enough. There are so few light purple insulators in comparison that I have a hard time imagining the majority got irradiated. Has anyone here ever found a deep purple insulator in the wild?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora