Bottles with a perforated steel bands oh the straight body of the bottle, such with glass

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Ctd. with glass puff our of about `1/4" of the glass body in the square holes in the metal. I have three bottles and four drink glasses at this point. I have no idea of which glass house made them. I am sure the metal bands would have to have been pre-heated to prevent cracking the glass. This is seeking information about this type of product, who made them and when. RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I should add that most of these have what I consider to be a sticky ball punty rod marks. It is textured quite heavy, on almost all of the bottom. Two bottles had to have neck work done and the bottles that became the double shot drinking glasses,. were empontiled to cut the shoulders and neck off the top of the glass lips. Then the cut was obviously reheated to smooth the lip edges. RED Matthews

epackage

Reaction score
I've seen these but I have no insight into them Red, I hope someone else does.... Jim

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I have not heard from a curator at the Corning Glass Museum yet!!!!!! Things must be dead there also. I am sorry no one has come back with anything here yet. I know I read about them in some magazine, but I haven't heard back from the Antique Bottle & Glass Collector magazine either. There has to be someone out there that knows about them. I will be trying to get some pictures tomorrow. RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
.I know they are out there. I don't know whey no one has any information to extend to us. I am going to get my camera operation going to get some pictures posted - hoping that will get some response. RED

RED Matthews

Reaction score
No I don't think the glass was blown in those bands. The ones I have collected have the glass puffed out in a larger hole size holes. They are square and about 3/4" sides, with some side ways and some set vertical on a points up and sideways form. The steel bands were made and put on the straight sides of the bottle while the glass was hot enough to puff our about a quarter inch in the holes. I know I read about them years ago, but can't find out where or who made them. I have three bottles with these bands and one has matching little glasses with matching bands on them. The interesting thing about the glasses is, that they were obviously made as little bottles and the necks and shoulders were sheared off - so each glass is a little different in height, and the edge was fire polished. They are all a neat green glass item. Sorry I am out of business with my camera. RED Matthews

sunrunner

Reaction score
hi red,the only time iv seen this kind of glass work was in mexico I picked up a blue decanter which was blown in a iron lace work, the iron was redhot,and the glass bulged out of it. I still have it some were. theis was in the 1970s.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well that is at least a reply, thank you. I think it could be a possible source - but having gotten these where I did. I think they are a lot older. When you run into yours, let me know. My interest in old glass is the study of the methods, tools, and problem solutions that are evident in the glass item. "bottlemysteries" I have one bottle with five flaw factors in the same bottle - technicslly - it should have been put back in the melting pot. I have a blog covering this subject that will have pictures of them. The half leaf pinch mark is one that I have really saught after. In my first blog on that subject, I really didn't think they were pinches - but decided they were after I got some really obvious examples of bottles with the pinch on them. I worked in the glass industry 15 years as an applications and process engineer for 15 years and traveled the worlds glass factories for 22 years - selling special alloy castings for better glass production products and part performance. We even made IS-62 Press and Blow Plungers - with internal cooling fins. It pleases and sedates my old age deterioration - to just think about my past activities. RED M.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
You've had quite the career in the industry you also chose to love. That's a lucky thing to happen.I'm or was a good auto mechanic but the thing is, I have no interest in cars except them getting from point A to B. It was just an aptitude of necessity. Then all the electronic stuff came out and I have a hard time just keeping something past 1990 on the road. I can make them limp but not much more. Of coarse rust usually kills them before too much worry up here.I miss the days of carburetors and points.[:)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora