Broken bottles worth keeping, selling, donating, chucking

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wood1

Reaction score
Hello,

I moved into a new cottage and found a number of old, but broken bottles in the garage - presumably left by the previous owner. Since they look old, before I get rid of them I though i would check if they were worth something to someone. They have "Tyrer London SE" and "Cathedral Brand" written on them. Any info would be appreciated. thanks

Attachments

• 2022-08-23 14.44.17.jpg
    2022-08-23 14.44.17.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 141

Digger 57

Reaction score
Hello,

I moved into a new cottage and found a number of old, but broken bottles in the garage - presumably left by the previous owner. Since they look old, before I get rid of them I though i would check if they were worth something to someone. They have "Tyrer London SE" and "Cathedral Brand" written on them. Any info would be appreciated. thanks
To a collector they will always be broken bottles. Toss them. Unless they are rare or historical they have no value sorry.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
The one on the right is not broken, they were made like that. Some bottles didn't have smoothly finished lips 120-ish years ago, I guess it was a cheaper way of making them. The one on the left is broken, though.

Cobrien.cdm

Reaction score
Definitely keep the bottle on the right with the roughly finished top. Can you please share with us the embossing on each bottle?

Reactions: Roy

Cobrien.cdm

Reaction score
Definitely keep the bottle on the right with the roughly finished top. Can you please share with us the embossing on each bottle?

Newtothiss

Reaction score
If you like em', keep em' I guess?

Personally, I could never understand keeping broken bottles/jars..

Whatever makes you happy though.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
If you like em', keep em' I guess?

Personally, I could never understand keeping broken bottles/jars..

Whatever makes you happy though.
Sometimes a slightly damaged one is the only example you can get - or the difference between buying one for ten dollars versus five hundred dollars. Of course I'm only talking about super rare or high-end bottles, not the sort of stuff from a typical dig at the 1930s dump. But if I find the only known example of a local bottle, I'm keeping it regardless of how broken it is, even if it's just to document its existence.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
If you decide to dispose of them, you should bury them. Let the people of the future find them. The year 5000 A.D. may sound far off but it will be here one day and the people living in the year 5000, or even later, will probably love to find things like this. The same as we find broken clay jars and tablets from ancient Sumeria, those people probably would have never imagined their trash being interesting to us thosands of years later.

Newtothiss

Reaction score
H
If you decide to dispose of them, you should bury them. Let the people of the future find them. The year 5000 A.D. may sound far off but it will be here one day and the people living in the year 5000, or even later, will probably love to find things like this. The same as we find broken clay jars and tablets from ancient Sumeria, those people probably would have never imagined their trash being interesting to us thosands of years lath
What makes you think human beings have that long?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu