Brooklyn Blobtop Beer Bottle (H. THIMIC)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BeachComber

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently found a blob top beer bottle from Brooklyn. Its embossed as follows: "H.Thimic / 288 / Atlantic St / Brooklyn". The obverse has "Excelsior Lager Bier" with a neat logo on it of a hand holding a beer bottle. I tried googling this one but did not find any info. Can anyone help with the questions I have on this bottle?

1) What is the bottle's age? How long did this company run for?
2) Is there any info on the company in general out there?
3) Was Bier misspelled or was it intentional (i.e. German spelling)?
4) Is it rare?

Thank you all!

Attachments

• find1035.JPG
    find1035.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 288
  • find1036.JPG
    find1036.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 297

slugplate

Reaction score
By the mere looks of it, I'd say 1880s. But don't hold my feet to the fire on that. First off, bottles were very expensive to make. Thus, the absence of "This Bottle Not To Be Sold" or similar and has a pictorial leaves me a bit conflicted. It had to be an expensive bottle to make but there was no need to return it to be reused? The word "Bier" I've seen on other blobs as well and it's intentional because it was used as a kind of a marketing. However, Thimic may have been the bottler and not the brewer. He could have imported the beer and then bottled it. Personally, I have never seen one like it, but the name Excelsior Lager I've seen on other bottles from different manufacturers.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
They drank a LOT of lager beer in those days, particularly the German immigrant workers. It is a German brewing style after all, so no doubt bier was deliberate. Great old blob beer. is there a book out there somewhere of NYC area brewers pre-prohibition?

Jim G

treasurekidd

Reaction score
Nice bottle. Definitely a beer, I'd say 1880-1900 or so. The last name is actually Thimig, not Thimic. Here's a link to an 1883 ad for the company. It's a small ad on the left side of the page, lists him at that address:

Here's a link to one that sold on ebay, interestingly misspelled as Thimic as well. Maybe a Worthpoint member can help you with a sell price:

sandchip

Reaction score
Nice bottle. Definitely a beer, I'd say 1880-1900 or so. The last name is actually Thimig, not Thimic. Here's a link to an 1883 ad for the company. It's a small ad on the left side of the page, lists him at that address:

Here's a link to one that sold on ebay, interestingly misspelled as Thimic as well. Maybe a Worthpoint member can help you with a sell price:

Thank you for that clarification on the spelling. There are actually three variants listed on sodasandbears.com Sorry about that.

kostgar

Reaction score
Here's another variant from my collection of Brooklyn bottles. Bold embossing clearly shows 'G' but the letter doesn't have the horizontal bar so it's easy to confuse it with 'C' if embossing is not so good.
I have several other bottles that say 'Bier'.

IMG_20200111_104854.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200111_104854.jpg
    IMG_20200111_104854.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 231

BeachComber

Reaction score
Hi All!! Thanks so much for all of the information! This is exactly the type of info I was looking for - the advert is a great addition to the story of this bottle. Thimig!! No wonder I was unable to find any info under Thimic! Fantastic stuff - thank you all!

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently found a blob top beer bottle from Brooklyn. Its embossed as follows: "H.Thimic / 288 / Atlantic St / Brooklyn". The obverse has "Excelsior Lager Bier" with a neat logo on it of a hand holding a beer bottle. I tried googling this one but did not find any info. Can anyone help with the questions I have on this bottle?

1) What is the bottle's age? How long did this company run for?
2) Is there any info on the company in general out there?
3) Was Bier misspelled or was it intentional (i.e. German spelling)?
4) Is it rare?

Thank you all!
Your example is much nicer than mine.
Here are a few other variation on my library: https://brucemobley.com/beerbottlelibrary/ny/brooklyn/excelsior.htm
According to the NY Breweries book by Gary Guest the company was in operation from 1869-1890
I estimate your example is about 1875ish
Bier is German and Beer is the corruption of that word
Not rare, but difficult.
This was a bottling company not a brewery.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky