build my own tumbler

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

fsperry

Reaction score
Have decided to build my own tumbler and I need some info, especially on the electric motor, bearings, etc. Is it worth the effort ? Thanks in advance

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hi fsperry and welcome to the Forum. In my opinion, having a tumbler is very much worth the effort. Building one is not. Unless of coarse you just enjoy a Grand challenge and are able to except temporary setback and failure with ease.[;)] Seriously, by building one you will save some money but there will be a lot of trial and error associated with your first attempt. Check out Eddies link here. He has some pretty good info. http://www.privydigger.com/cleaning.htm Hope this helps, Kelley

PS. Good luck on your project should you decide to undertake it.[;)]

fsperry

Reaction score
Hey thanks Kelley. I'm kinda handy (in the Tim the Toolman way) so I would still like to try and build one. I have some ideas after looking at a few available on the market, and altering someone elses unit doesn't seem fair. I'lll check the link you sent and thank you again for the help ; it is appreciated !

Bottle tumbler

Reaction score
Let me ask you some thing before you build one. how much are you going to spend on building one? costs,time, trials.errors.

fsperry

Reaction score
I really haven't given cost/time/trials and errors much thought. My nephew is an electrician, I've worked as a carpenter , and I have friends who have a machine shop, so with our "collective heads" together, we may be able to come up with something ; maybe even something newer, better, improved. Who knows ? Sounds like a fun challenge.

old digger

Reaction score
Sure would like an update on "build my own tumbler", how's it gone so far?

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi fsperry !
Go for it ! You can save some money if you have the ambition and a little know how !
Ask the forum member Brad S. to post some pics and info on his tumbler .( he built it himself and it tumbles 2 bottles at one time). He built my one bottle tumbler and picked up almost all the parts " Cheap " at the local flea market. Of course he bought the tube and the ends that hold the bottle from a cleaning/tumbling supply dealer. Brad even cuts his own copper with a gadget he uses on his drill press. Copper is exspensive to buy already cut !!!!!!!
Brad do you want to help him out and save him a lot of head scratching ????? Brian

flasherr

Reaction score
I would definitely like to see your list. I especially would like to see how you cut copper I can get a hold of copper wire but wasn't sure how to cut it. Please share if you don't mind. I have people looking out for parts so I can build mine.
Brian

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm in the process of building my own tumbler as well. We have an 'event' in our city called "Spring Clean-UP' every year. Residents can throw anything away on the curb, and the city will cart it away. Those of us in the know, refer to it as the great week-long 'Swap Meet'[8D] You wouldn't believe the things people throw out, I've 'picked' some great bottles (people toss out boxes of those old dsty things dad collected), fantastic antique furniture. etc.,my wife and I sold $470 worth of this 'stuff' at a yard sale.[:D] But back to the subject, this past spring I picked up 3 electric motors, 2 -1/3hp, 1-1/2hp. They came out of a building being renovated, were used on the heating/circulating systems. They look new and run great. I decided then and there to use one to build a tumbler. No offense to Tumbler', I just want to try it myself, as said above, the enjoyment is in the challenge. And I thank the professionals who do it for a living for sharing photos and design tips in advance! I will continue to guide people their way who don't have the abuilty or the desire to attempt building their own.[;)]

flasherr

Reaction score
That is an interesting contraption for cutting copper. Does it drop the copper out the bottom? You definitely get an A+ for ingenuity and effort. That is unless you stole the idea from someone else then you only get an A. What is clear PVC used for anyway. I have never seen it except in pictures of peoples tumblers. There are a lot of neat ideas and pictures on the following board http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bottletumblers/. This is by far the best board out there keep up the good work guys.
Brian

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marenjch