Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Can’t tell how old this is but can’t find a suction seam anywhere

cowsgomoo

Oct 11, 2020
I found a similar jar before from the same spot that’s an Owens one from 1927 that I have used as my basis of comparison. I’m still new to this but the mold line runs up to the top and then stops before it. The inside is smoothish but it feels crimped above where the mold line ends so I think it’s a tooled finish. I also can’t locate much about W G Co but the W in the middle makes me think Winslow Glass Company but it could be others that predate them

Attachments

sandchip

Sep 1, 2008
Georgia
ABM suction scars are smooth to the touch, while blowpipe pontil marks are sharper/jagged in varying degrees, depending on how much glass was on the end of the blowpipe used as a pontil rod. Many of the early New England chestnut flasks have comparatively faint, delicate ones, so I can see how folks new the hobby might confuse the two. Here are a few of mine. Hope this helps. So as not to confuse matters, we'll save the bare iron pontils and sand pontils for another day!

farley1.jpgharrisons1.jpgbininger barrel2.jpgthompson2.jpg

cowsgomoo

Oct 11, 2020
ABM suction scars are smooth to the touch, while blowpipe pontil marks are sharper/jagged in varying degrees, depending on how much glass was on the end of the blowpipe used as a pontil rod. Many of the early New England chestnut flasks have comparatively faint, delicate ones, so I can see how folks new the hobby might confuse the two. Here are a few of mine. Hope this helps. So as not to confuse matters, we'll save the bare iron pontils and sand pontils for another day!

View attachment 213724View attachment 213725View attachment 213726View attachment 213727
This helps tremendously! Thanks!

sunrunner

Aug 10, 2007
pontils are hand applied . owns scars are machine made. there are a few video's showing the Owens aromatic in action

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NONNA