Can any of you tell me what this thing is?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

scoobis

Reaction score
Today i started my first real dig...i found alot of broken glass, some chips of brick, a horse shoe, a marble and this... i dont know what it is, i found a gross black thing inside that i immediatley disposed of. There was a screw on top that fell apart when i opened it. it's about one inch tall and in pretty good condition.

The bottom has the following on it: PYREX ZELL U.S.A. 125V

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Wu61450.jpg

Attachments

• Wu61450.jpg
    Wu61450.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 99

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Hi Scoobis

Your find is a glass electrical fuse. These were commonly used in household fuse boxes before the advent of the more modern circuit breaker. There would be a thin metal strip that would melt and break the circuit if the circuit was overloaded. I'm no electrician but that is the basic idea of how they operated.

Sam

scoobis

Reaction score
thank you guys, i'm sorry i posted an old fuse...i was hoping it was a pricless mini shot glass or somthing.. maybe i'll find somthing better tomorrow.

Thank you

Bluebelle

Reaction score
No apologies necessary! One either has to be an old person or have lived in an old house to recognize a glass fuse on sight. Hope your horseshoe turns out to be lucky for you!

Bluebelle

Reaction score
oooopppps! should have said either old person, old house or extremely knowledgeable and sophisticated - how's that, bne74honda?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky