CAN ANYONE REALLY BE THIS STUPID?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: tigue710

this is the problem with the internet... no exposure to the community... there are collectors completely brought up on ebay now who never had a chance to talk to or meet another collector, go to a show or learn anything about the bottles!
I hear that, it blows my mind when I talk to other bottle collectors who have NEVER COME TO ABN or heard of it before!! You could learn alot here in a short time, I know I have...[8|]

Topusmc

Reaction score
Might be worth more that a $100, looking at the +2008 Auction Price report has similar Amber Wistast's selling for the following:
10/05 Glassworks Med Red Amber with a 1/8" chip $134

So what would this one be worth 7 years later?
LQC Wishart's Trade Mark Pine Tree Tar Cordial Sold at Auction population is as follows:

Total 27 bottles.
Amber: 7 with Label(s) 4 w/o Label(s)

Values as follows:
07/00 GW tobacco amber $742
07/00 GW med amber $176
10/05 GW med red amber $134 1/8" panel chip.
06/07 GW Deep chocolate Amber $123

Example looks med amber to me so using the $176 from Jul 2000 as a base.
7% annual growth = $396
8% annual growth = $443
9% annual growth = $495
10% annual growth = $552
10.9% annual growth = $609

So IMHO purchasing said bottle back in 2000 for $176 would = annual return rate of 10.9% which is better than the stock market did!

I don't collect Wishart's and I don't think I have any in my collection.

Prices for good bottles are not static, supply and demand will drive up the price of those items that are deemed desirable (or when two bidders what a certain bottle).

Lordbud

Reaction score
In the last few years there are a relative few who benefited from the many. Once you get past a certain level of income price becomes no object and winning is everything. Plus the bottle in question has a Hagenbuch provenance. Whew that's gotta be some kind of deal, right? Hagenbuch, the guy who did more to bring prices up with his Western Roundup auctions than almost anyone. Within 5 short years the prices of Western pumpkinseed/coffin flasks quintupled or even beyond that. All due to deep pockets collectors being exposed to competition between themselves. Bottle show prices jumped accordingly. When a slightly-damaged unlisted coffin flask went from being an $18 bargain at a show, to being a few hundred dollars 4 years later...go figure. That wasn't only inflation, that wasn't a change in rarity, nor a change in condition.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I don't see too much wrong with the list. It's described fairly well (less smooth base and later tooled lip omission) but that isn't fraud. The damage seams quite well described.
The buyer(s) need to inform them selves on value.
My BIG question is was this one of Jim Hagenbachs bottles. That would be nearing slander IMO

andy volkerts

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Lordbud

In the last few years there are a relative few who benefited from the many. Once you get past a certain level of income price becomes no object and winning is everything. Plus the bottle in question has a Hagenbuch provenance. Whew that's gotta be some kind of deal, right? Hagenbuch, the guy who did more to bring prices up with his Western Roundup auctions than almost anyone. Within 5 short years the prices of Western pumpkinseed/coffin flasks quintupled or even beyond that. All due to deep pockets collectors being exposed to competition between themselves. Bottle show prices jumped accordingly. When a slightly-damaged unlisted coffin flask went from being an $18 bargain at a show, to being a few hundred dollars 4 years later...go figure. That wasn't only inflation, that wasn't a change in rarity, nor a change in condition.
Well Said!!........

justanolddigger

Reaction score
the winner on the first amber one was jay_shelly , they have been buying a lot of Wisharts at huge prices. The second one was arjaytee7, they have been buying Wisharts lately also and have been bidding up others at the same time. They are the under bidders on the one Tigue just linked. Just two people who really want something & will pay what it takes to get it. I love it when that happens to my auctions. When they try to resell, they will never come close to getting their money back.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado