Can anyone tell me about this jug?

bottles_inc

Reaction score
Picked some stuff up today, a copper pitcher, a Barr bros wholesale liquor dealers strapside from Brooklyn, and this jug. I'm not a jug guy but I might be now. Anyone know what this pattern of glazing is called/how old it is/where it might be from?
20210729_165119.jpg

20210729_165405.jpg

TxBottleDigger

Well-Known Member • Texas bottle guy
Reaction score
Nice flask! The pattern that the jug displays, is called spongeware/ splatterware. The jug dates from the 1890s to the 1910s. It’s almost, if not, impossible to find out where it’s from. I don’t think I have ever seen a spongeware jug before. Probably worth $40.

bottles_inc

Reaction score
Nice flask! The pattern that the jug displays, is called spongeware/ splatterware. The jug dates from the 1890s to the 1910s. It’s almost, if not, impossible to find out where it’s from. I don’t think I have ever seen a spongeware jug before. Probably worth $40.
That's what I paid to the dollar

embe

Reaction score
Haven't seen a jug like that before but some vintage pottery with that finish is associated with PA or other North Eastern US. Might be a recent art project too,

TxBottleDigger

Well-Known Member • Texas bottle guy
Reaction score
Haven't seen a jug like that before but some vintage pottery with that finish is associated with PA or other North Eastern US. Might be a recent art project too,
I was thinking it might be modern too, but the base looks older and I can see bumbs indicating a salt glaze. Interesting enough, some places still sell spongeware, even after a 100 years after the pattern dropped in popularity.

bottles_inc

Reaction score
I was thinking it might be modern too, but the base looks older and I can see bumbs indicating a salt glaze. Interesting enough, some places still sell spongeware, even after a 100 years after the pattern dropped in popularity.

It was pretty difficult, but not impossible.Think it's a red wing union jug from red wing, Minnesota. Base is identical to this crock I found.

https://www.docscrocks.com/product-page/red-wing-union-stoneware-blue-and-white-spongeware-pitcher

apparently the blue spongeware jugs are the hardest to find, emailed the director of the Red Wing Collectors Society so hopefully I'll have more info soon

Last edited:

greenbay1108

Reaction score
its called splatter paint and looking at the finish and the crazy marks on bottom it appears to be made in the last 15 years, $20 jug

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpevahouse