CAN THIS CONETOP CAN BE SAVED?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GLASSHOPPER55

Reaction score
This is not a bottle, but a conetop can I bought in an auction boxlot. Many conetop soda/beer cans were "converted" to sprinkling cans by women for ironing and watering plants etc back in the 40s-50s. This one has heavy white (now yellowed) paint on it.

My question is: Can this paint be safely removed to reveal the design underneath, or is it a lost cause? I know the paint in those days really was PAINT! Anyone ever do this and if so, how did you accomplish it? (maybe Leon knows, he's big into cans). someone suggested dipping into boiling water, I did the cone part but it still was a lot of scraping, which wouldn't be good on the actual label.
DSCN2126.JPG
DSCN2127.JPG

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Love to see how it comes out. Looks like it is in good shape. The paint protected whatever is underneath. It will be interesting to see what you got.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Methyl ketone works like acetone but is not as aggresive and has a slower evaporation rate.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

yacorie

Reaction score
Acetone? Hmmm. OK . We'll check it out. Thanx for the tip!

that’s just one thread. There are multiple threads about sprinklers and cleaning them. I think the acetone and other suggestions are to figure out what kind of paint it is.

some people get lucky and the paint comes right off while others struggle with oil based.

whatever you decide to try - just do a small part somewhere to see how it reacts

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Yacorie is so right. The type of paint is in question. As my mom always told me a million times, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown