Can you remove things from a river in Texas?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
I would like to remove two large railroad pieces out of my local river where a railroad bridge once stood. This is on public property and state property, a navigable river. One piece is what I believe to be the roof of the cab of a steam locomotive and the other, a part of the old bridge. Of course, this isn’t the same as picking up a bottle and taking it. The process of removing these pieces and loading them, could possibly cause attention. I have heard that Texas is one of the most lenient on regulations. I would like to be prepared to ensure whom may ask to what of which I am doing, that this is legally acceptable. May I also add, that these objects are leaned up against the bank.

Last edited:

RCO

Reaction score
I would like to remove two large railroad pieces out of my local river where a railroad bridge once stood. This is on public property and state property, a navigable river. One piece is what I believe to be the roof of the cab of a steam locomotive and the other, a part of the old bridge. Of course, this isn’t the same as picking up a bottle and taking it. The process of removing these pieces and loading them, could possibly cause attention. I have heard that Texas is one of the most lenient on regulations. I would like to be prepared to ensure whom may ask to what of which I am doing, that this is legally acceptable.

I remove scrap metal items off public lands all the time although never anything that big , usually metal bars , or stuff people dumped years ago

you could check with your local government if they'd have any issues with this or if there aware of any rules or laws that apply to that property

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
I remove scrap metal items off public lands all the time although never anything that big , usually metal bars , or stuff people dumped years ago

you could check with your local government if they'd have any issues with this or if there aware of any rules or laws that apply to that property
How do I check ? Do you mean contacting them ?

east texas terry

Reaction score
[/QUOTE ] All water way in the state of Texas are Corp of Engineers property. They can prosecute for removing artifacts or any other think under state & federal law. When i was president Of the F. M D A C south central chapter I set on a cases were the fed took a Vietnam vet truck - boat & 10.000.00 dollar just looking for artfacts in a lake The fed can prosecute if you get a ham sandwich out of water

RCO

Reaction score

the local government in that area ? whoever that would be , county/city ?

the price of scrap metal has been high here , a lot of stuff disappearing . there had been this large metal water tank ? or such not really sure what it was but had been in the backyard here off a trail for years , someone took it earlier this year for scrap one day , it was just gone , definitely don't miss it

FreeRangeAsparagus

Reaction score
I took a few "no trespassing" signs from the river under a railroad bridge the other day, plenty of people saw, nobody asked. I am in Massachusetts, so very different landscape, but in general I think most people will just be glad they don't have to pick up the trash themselves. There will always be sticklers in law enforcement but to me, it seems like your pieces have been down there so long that nobody would care. Just speculation here though.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I think they will not let you do such a large operation without the proper license and or permits. Public or not there are still laws and liability to worry about. It's a nice thought.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
Update: there is not a locomotive cab roof there. It is just a part of the old bridge. It's a situation which is both sad and good. Sad, because I would love to own anything of the S.A.&A.P.R.R. Especially a cab roof. And thankfully, because I don't have to worry about legal issues.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marenjch