Canadian Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

P2 Dive

Reaction score
This is the bottom of a Canadian beer bottle that I found off shore of Whidbey Island WA. I have researched the company, Silver Springs Brewery of Victoria B.C. and it was in business from 1905 to 1929. My question is about the number on the bottom. I have read where the Canadian bottlers didn't use emblems but would use a number. I have found other various bottles with similar numbers. Most of the bottles appear to be from 1900 to the 1930's. I suspect this is an area that the bottles are from the Prohibition era where Whidbey Island was an active smuggling site. Can someone give me more information on bottles marked with a single number only. Also the suction mark on the bottom is typical of many of the bottles. Is this an indication of a bottle mold process that can help me identify the age of bottles. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

4752307F9FCA4896B88B26FD5F5A0586.jpg

Attachments

• 4752307F9FCA4896B88B26FD5F5A0586.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 162

deenodean

Reaction score
Welcome to the Blue Pages P2 Dive.
Some Canadian bottles do have symbols, like a 'diamond' shape, indication the Diamond Glass Co circa late 1890's -1903. Then it was sold to Dominion Glass Co. L.G.Co. is another mark , Lamont Glass Co. , Trenton N.S. That mark is a rare one, not to many around.
The number on the bottom is the mold number. The circle is from the Owens Bottling machine or perhaps another bottling machine.
Hope you find many bottles.. a reminder I have 1st dibs on all Nova Scotia bottles...[;)]
I am sure someone else will offer their comments . [8|]

tsims

Reaction score
This is the bottom of a Canadian beer bottle that I found off shore of Whidbey Island WA. I have researched the company, Silver Springs Brewery of Victoria B.C. and it was in business from 1905 to 1929. My question is about the number on the bottom. I have read where the Canadian bottlers didn't use emblems but would use a number. I have found other various bottles with similar numbers. Most of the bottles appear to be from 1900 to the 1930's. I suspect this is an area that the bottles are from the Prohibition era where Whidbey Island was an active smuggling site. Can someone give me more information on bottles marked with a single number only. Also the suction mark on the bottom is typical of many of the bottles. Is this an indication of a bottle mold process that can help me identify the age of bottles. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

I purchased some older Silver Springs bottles today with paper labels and one embossed. Because the first 3 are full i am not having them shipped until weather improves. They weren't inexpensive but i think will make a nice addition to collection. I find myself moving away somewhat from soda and leaning a little more towards older beer lately. Picked up an old paper Lucky Lager as well.

Attachments

• 3 silver springs.jpg
    3 silver springs.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 148
  • lucky lager.jpg
    lucky lager.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 146

tsims

Reaction score
I purchased some older Silver Springs bottles today with paper labels and one embossed. Because the first 3 are full i am not having them shipped until weather improves. They weren't inexpensive but i think will make a nice addition to collection. I find myself moving away somewhat from soda and leaning a little more towards older beer lately. Picked up an old paper Lucky Lager as well.
My embossed bottle has a 12 on the bottom so yours is probably much older (Just guessing). I do have some old beer bottles with just a 2, 4, 5 etc on the bottom and no embossing at all or labels so i think they are as they say just a mold number.

brent little

Reaction score
The mark on the bottom is the vale mark from the automatic bottle machine. The number as far as i know is a mould number. Hope this helps.

tsims

Reaction score
The mark on the bottom is the vale mark from the automatic bottle machine. The number as far as i know is a mould number. Hope this helps.
Welcome to the Blue Pages P2 Dive.
Some Canadian bottles do have symbols, like a 'diamond' shape, indication the Diamond Glass Co circa late 1890's -1903. Then it was sold to Dominion Glass Co. L.G.Co. is another mark , Lamont Glass Co. , Trenton N.S. That mark is a rare one, not to many around.
The number on the bottom is the mold number. The circle is from the Owens Bottling machine or perhaps another bottling machine.
Hope you find many bottles.. a reminder I have 1st dibs on all Nova Scotia bottles...[;)]
I am sure someone else will offer their comments . [8|]
I just recently came across a plain bottle with the L.G Co on bottom, you are saying it is a fairly rare bottle? I will have to check if i just have the one or may have two. You have me intrigued now.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Those are nice labelled beers, never seen the Ye Olde Ale before. The Vancouver Breweries looks like a fairly old one as well.

tsims

Reaction score
Those are nice labelled beers, never seen the Ye Olde Ale before. The Vancouver Breweries looks like a fairly old one as well.
thank you, have to admit that as a newbie and collecting ACL soda only at the time i gave away a SS embossed bottle just like that. Valuable lesson, check it out first :'(

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
thank you, have to admit that as a newbie and collecting ACL soda only at the time i gave away a SS embossed bottle just like that. Valuable lesson, check it out first :'(
Well if it's any consolation those embossed Vancouver Breweries bottles aren't exactly rare. They're nice bottles but there are far worse things you could have unknowingly given away.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi