canning jar on ebay. Nuked?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Link. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTY-THE-MARION-JAR-MASON-S-PATENT-1858-GOLDEN-AMBER-MINT-/111198054973?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e3ebaa3d I don't know squat about canning jars, but the color seems very odd. Obviously from the bidding, one or more people want it. Is it a nuked color?
$T2eC16V,!yEFJBZVHPR3BSWgpMzgyg~~60_58.JPG

Jim G

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Somebody's gonna get hosed then, it's at $178 and climbing. I couldn't imagine that color is natural. There's a british ink on that's about that same color, that I've only ever seen in clear. It's a different seller, but I'm guessing it comes out of the same nuke as the jar. And neither says anything about them being nuked. NOT NICE... Jim G
atticfinds said:
That is a nuked jar.

MNJars

Reaction score
One sold last week for $1,400+ Definitely nuked and people fall for it. That or they are ok paying huge money for a nuked jar.

FitSandTic

Reaction score
Such a shame! Marion jars are very common around my area. I have only seen them in aqua and a deep teal color. Even in the nice teal color they still do not command prices that I have seen these ugly nuked amber ones bringing. I can't believe that people do not know that the color is totally fabricated on these. I am not the smartest person but if I am spending that much money on a piece for my collection I am going to educate myself to the fullest extent on what I am buying. I can see if your making a on the spot purchase at a show or a flea market and if your a beginner in collecting by getting taken by this crap but these people have days to investigate these purchases on ebay.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
This one sold for $560 plus. Someone took an awful hosing. At least I can say that a lot of the nuked colors look "wrong" when you see them. It helps to be able to tell that they aren't right. Jim G

icollectfruitjars

Reaction score
Caveat emptor and Ebay won't back up the buyers. There have been a ton of bottles and jars coming out of Florida that have been nuked. Not all of them are of the purple or "motor oil brown" variety. Some are being sold as "ice blue", "citron", etc. The National Insulator Association (NIA) had a really good article that was written on irradiation of glass: http://www.nia.org/altered/index.htm As you can see, depending on what additives were used in the glass they can turn different colors. There is still some debate on whether placing the irradiated glass in an over for a period of time will return it to it's "original" color. I bought a nuked jar and put it in the oven at 250-degrees for 2 hours and didn't notice any difference in color.

MNJars

Reaction score
I find it unfathomable that anyone, let alone 2 people that an auction demands, would pay that much for one of these jars. Look at what else is out there for that kind of money! You can buy some truly rare and amazing jars of great colors or closures for these prices.Something doesn't smell right about these auctions. Even collectors that are naïve of the irradiated colors wouldn't pay that much for a brown Marion, right? I don't know...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis