Can't Figure this Out. Help?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
I have searched everywhere, for information on this bottle I can’t find anything, anywhere, at least none that I’m aware of, so here’s a awful picture of the bottle, but I will give a full detailed description. Or at least, the best description I can do, since I am still new to this. If I messed up on using a word, just tell me... and I'll fix it.

Embossing: Right on the rim of the base on one front (no label, don't know the front from the back...) it says in all caps, LV & the other side it says FRANCE.

Height: 5 ½ inches tall, the base is 2 inches wide & the mouth is 1 inch wide.

Mouth: No lip, I’m thinking it might have been a perfume bottle with the dipper, but if not, then the lip is broken off. There’s chips missing around where the lip should be & the opening is off center. The mold seams stop before it gets to the very top, before where the lip is broken off.

Base of the bottle: Uneven & wobbles when I set it down, no pontil mark, uneven circle around the starburst looking middle. Or more like a flower with really skinny petals.

The shape: Flares at the bottom of base, curves, widens & then there’s two humps before the seam ends at the thicker embossed hump and then there’s smooth & then the cracked/chipped part where the lip should be.

No label or embossed design on it anywhere except for the LV & FRANCE.

Color: Clear, with pink-ish tint & has small bubbles in the glass.

Condition: Inside has dirt stains, missing lip & really uneven seams the whole bottle is pretty much uneven everywhere else.

What I would like to know: If anyone knows what kind of bottle this is, what it was used for maybe? What does LV mean? I googled it... And kept getting Louis Vuitton, but Louis Vuitton never came out with a scent, or anything else that goes in a bottle, that I am aware of, I may have missed it Idk. But mainly just want to know, what LV means cause then I'll somewhat know what it was used for, year, history, any information would be greatly appreciated. This bottle has wracked my brain.

83C83FBD86D742E4967EF201B5C5AE4B.jpg

Attachments

• 83C83FBD86D742E4967EF201B5C5AE4B.jpg
    83C83FBD86D742E4967EF201B5C5AE4B.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 63

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Bottles...Welcome to the Forum...
The only L.V. I can locate is Louis-Vuitton...who did make perfumes & colognes...which is what your bottle is. Most likely, the mouth had a brass or other metal sleeve over that chipped edge" and down around the neck to that lower bulge/ring.......and a dobber or stopper was made to fit the sleeve. Often a cork was inserted and a hole drilled in the cork for the dobber.
Hope this helps. This type of bottle was still in use as late as 1920....maybe even later.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the help! I kept getting Louis Vuitton as well, but wasn't positive on it. But I do indeed appreciate this, thanks so much! Now I can quit thinking about it haha.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky