Carlton, GA outside Athens digging/excavation partner... :)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glademaiden

Reaction score
would love to find someone to help me with my mostly collapsed barn. lots of both broken and intact bottles around it and possibly inside. i've found several large mason and atlas jars etc. let me know!

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Sorry, I wish I could come down but can't get away anytime in the foreseeable future. I always liked the small towns around Athens. --Ever eat at "The Greasy V?" Love that double barreled cannon in front of town hall too, among other things... Welcome to our friendly bottle group. Feel free to ask ANY question you might come up with. Meantime, if you decide to proceed alone, remember safety first. There is a lot of glass, rusty nails, critters, etc. that can ruin the excitement within very quickly. ...Sounds like a nice little honey hole you have there. "Barns are no less than outdoor museums."

glademaiden

Reaction score
hey there! no i've never heard of the greasy v lol. i will have to find it. thank you for the welcome. yes the barn is very interesting indeed. it is basically sitting on the bottom of the roof. so there is an opening maybe 5' high. i can see bottles, a large wood thing that might be a corn crib, a basket that is pretty tattered, etc. for some reason i am convinced there's a cellar too, i am not sure why. the surrounding area is all half buried glass and i think tractor parts. i found a portion of an old wood stove also that says 1840 on the back though i do not know if that's a date. yesterday i discovered some kind of very thick metal grill sticking out of the ground. one of the things that concerns me in addition to those you mentioned are old wells. i used to live on a property about a mile from here that had several uncovered old wells (that the owner never bothered to tell me about until my dog found one), so that is a definite possibility too.

my little house was built in 1920, but there is another older home site here in the woods. this is quarry country, so lots of granite blocks and steps half buried and many plots of beautiful flowers that come up every year.

i poke around when i'm bored, but i intend to enlist some assistance one day to excavate the barn. i think it will have to be dismantled from the outside in, and for now i like the fact that it's there. thank you again and good luck to you!

Reactions: Len

tk1968

Reaction score
The greasy V is the Varsity! I used to live a few blocks from there. It is closed now. The family sold the land to developers. They are going to build again but this time in Oconee County. I would love to help you one weekend. I live in Norcross but Carlton is not too far.

glademaiden

Reaction score
ohhhhh of course the varsity! yes i remember that place. i lived in athens back in the nineties. yup it was definitely an icon around here. well maybe we can figure that out at some point, thanks!

GeorgiaRobert

Reaction score
I’m interested. I live in Hall. It would be a little bit of a trip for me but I’m curious. Maybe wait for a little bit cooler weather? Not interested in snakes myself.

glademaiden

Reaction score
good point! i've also heard that the old structures around here often have brown recluses. that is a dealbreaker for sure. so i agree, cooler weather is an excellent idea.

glademaiden

Reaction score
the thing that made me go poking around the other day was that the torrential rains we've been having are uncovering lots of possible goodies that were not visible before. excavation by nature!

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Last time I ate at the Varsity it was the '80s. "Greasy" but great burgers+ fries! I hung with locals from Danielsville. Loved Madison County. If I ever get back to your end of the country I'm sure there will be still some places to explore. Meantime thanks to those siters who have stepped up to help you out... Mother Nature eventually reclaims all but occasionally gives back to bottle collectors! BTW, up here there is a tradition of burying beneath barns. As a spot of heavy activity through time anything in or near them will usually yield you something. Love your site handle. Stay well and keep posting!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky