Case Gin

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

creeper71

Reaction score
can someone give me some info on case gins? I picked up a box of 5 for a really good price.. what I am wondering is how rare are Dark Amber ? an Citron? nop pics cause they ned to take a bath will be soakin for atleast 3 days

Digging Up Bottles

Reaction score
Case gins were used in the early-mid 1800s, mainly around the 1830s-50s, but give or take a few decades either way. Rarity? I've seen many plain case gins at shows going for $40-$50 and they were dark green or amber. I don't know about citron, but dark greens and ambers of what I've seen are a bit common. Congrats on the score! Can't wait to see the picks.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Rob, You need to learn about the evolution of the process of making these case gins. They started in dip molds and developed into to part dip molds with free formed shoulders, and then shoulder pull backs were placed on each half.
The finishes started as what are often refereed to as pig snouts, then flared out finishes, then tapered finishes. There were a lot of them with shoulder seals applied. There were changes in the mold venting. There were makers marks used on a lot of them.
There were changes in the different countries that made them and the study I made on them was to evaluate the growth of making methods and marks that told of the making evolution production changes done to try and meet the demand.
RED Matttrhews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I forgot to add that a lot these things effect the value of them. I am not that concerned about value - I guess because I am too old to get into much more collecting of bottles, unless they tell me something new about how they were made. RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
HELLO THIS MORNING. i also forgot to point out that the two part molds added the advantage of being able to vertical emboss company names or product description on the bottles.
Also, the pull back shoulder mold sections let them put the seals on the shoulders - which let them stop using a prunt of glass and pressing the imprint of the seals in the hot glass.
I caught on to those points after I went to bed.
RED Matthews

NHkeith

Reaction score
Case Gins come in lots of variety

here are the ones I own.

# 2,3,5,6,7,8(6 bottles) were bought as a lot at an auction 2 weeks ago. I paid 33$ (30 + 10 % buyer premium) 5 bucks each.

So the forth one from the left is the oldest one. Its got a broken pontil and a pig snout top. Crude with many bubbles.
#1 and 4 we bought at different times. (paid 50$ for #4 and 15$ for #1).

1187207_10201716357567989_719815386_n.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky