Cathedrals

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I took some of my pickles out back for some air yesterday afternoon. They have been cooped up inside forever and the air did them some good. The tallest is 14". It was cloudy but you'll get the picture.[;)]

CIMG2704.jpg

ktbi

Reaction score
Those are great Mike. I love cathedrals and you have some very nice examples. Were they used for anything other than pickles? I've seen pepper sauce bottles that look quite a bit like those - but nothing can compare to the pickles. Thank you for sharing.....Ron

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Yes, I have had them with lead labels for peaches, brandied pears, and other non-pickle foods. Some of the ones that came out of the Embarcadero project still had contents. IIRC, at least one contained oysters. The smells were disgusting. In another nearby site some of us got sick from digging in the rotten fish cans and stuff. The stink permeated the black ooze.
ORIGINAL: ktbi

Those are great Mike.  I love cathedrals and you have some very nice examples.  Were they used for anything other than pickles? I've seen pepper sauce bottles that look quite a bit like those - but nothing can compare to the pickles. Thank you for sharing.....Ron

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Mike,

Thanks for documenting the airing of your cathedrals. The Notre Dames of bottledom in more ways than one. Did you save any of the lead seals? I have a couple, but have not seen them for years. I gotta find those one'a these daze.

UF10597.jpg

"UF10597 is a lead bottle seal from the landing on Level 2 of the Barracks. It is embossed with the name of George Whybrow, a pickle manufacturer and oil importer who started a business in London around 1825. The company made various kinds of pickles, relishes, vinegars and salad oils. Bottles embossed with the Whybrow name have been found at a number of archaeological sites in Australia, including the Conservatorium in Sydney, the Parramatta Children’s Court site, and at Casselden Place in Melbourne. The seal is 51 mm in diameter, and originally came from a wide mouthed bottle, which probably held pickles or some other table condiments. The ‘Trade Mark’ indicates the bottle post-dates 1876, and pre-dates 1899, when the company was wound up." From.

traces-bottleseal.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac