CHARLES RYAN EMBOSSED SODA

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Hold the phone! I may not be such a flunky after all. I just discovered the bottle has a small embossment on the heel with ...

E.H.E. CO

And found this to go with it ...
[*]E.H.E.CO ... Edward H. Everett Company (Newark Star Glass Works), Newark, OH (1880-1904). Plant merged in 1904 to become part of the Ohio Bottle Company and in 1905 part of the American Bottle Company. American was purchased by Owens Bottle Company in 1916, and in 1929 this plant became part of the merger that resulted in the formation of Owens-Illinois Glass Company. Also, see "S. K. & CO" and "N next to or within a star" marks.

So if I understand this correctly, it would date the bottle circa 1904-05, and possibly earlier. Which is fantastic, and truly does make it the earliest Crown-Closure bottle in my collection. Now if I can just confirm if it's a soda or beer bottle, I will be batting 100% ... I say it's a soda!

Cyber ~

Whew ... I almost blew it. But you knew the "E.H.E CO" was there all along, didn't ya? [:D]

Double Thanks! Double Thanks!

Bob

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I'm extremely pleased that you got it safe and sound.. and this century..!
[:)]
Here are the other two from the triad I had of ELK's.. these look slightly older than crowns, don't they? I truly believe the crown I sent you is from the same mold as the tall blob I have here.. the squat might be a little older, not sure.. but I honestly believe I just done sent you an 1890's crowntop.. I just kinda know deep down inside.. oh and the E H E CO thing, it never occurred to me until you brought it up.. but all 3 of the Kearns bottles in this thread are E H E's..

72E0BCFAF81D45B1B1E01F7F03EA6E1E.jpg

Attachments

• 72E0BCFAF81D45B1B1E01F7F03EA6E1E.jpg
    72E0BCFAF81D45B1B1E01F7F03EA6E1E.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 99

cyberdigger

Reaction score
..small detail on the tall blob.. probably would not have been reproduced in an different private mold so exactly.. oh and I didn't bother to check the base but it there a 314?

AF80D28E5FB74839BC08A4CD3C93C590.jpg

Attachments

• AF80D28E5FB74839BC08A4CD3C93C590.jpg
    AF80D28E5FB74839BC08A4CD3C93C590.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 86

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
cyber ~

It does have the mark like the closeup you posted, but there is no number on it anywhere that I can see. And I used a magnifying glass. I wondered about that arrow-dot-arrow mark and whether it had any connection to the Owens-Illinois mark <O> that came out later?

I also looked at the lip again, and don't see the swirl tool marks like my Charles Ryan bottle has. So you could very well be right about the 1890s part. If so, then that makes it triple interesting to me. And just for the record, are they soda's or beer's? And lastly, why did you break up such a beautiful set? I am not only pleased, I'm honored!

Bob

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Howdy, Bob!
I didn't break up a set, I just moved part of it to California. [;)]
I like blobbies, and I'm running out of shelf space.. the "arrow-dot-arrow" mark is purely decorative, of that I'm sure, sort of like when someone embellishes their signature with a fancy underline.. as far as tooling the top, I like the detail of the neck in that one.. see how it's stretched and twisted?
Soda or beer? That's always a good question when the paper label is no longer present.. but you can be sure it was a carbonated beverage..

dlouis

Reaction score
Re: RE: CHARLES RYAN EMBOSSED SODA

I just found a chas ryan bottle in the brook behind my house in Williamstown ma. Its a clear 7 oz. bottle in great shape. The date is marked 1948, so the company was around for a while.

Berkshire117

Reaction score
Re: RE: CHARLES RYAN EMBOSSED SODA

I have three different Charles Ryan north Adams bottles. The same one listed in the original post, a Hutchinson and a blob pint. Dlouis...any pic of that bottle? I live in north Adams near the Williams town border

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp