Check this RARE one out

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
http://www.epa.gov/radiation/sources/food_labeling.html

MREs get zapped and last just about forever. (if they could just fix the taste)

bostaurus

Reaction score
I remember when we were stationed in Florida, way back, we used to pass a place that irradiated tomatoes before they were shipped out. I was just thinking it would be harder to 'borrow' the sterilizer. Stay after work or tuck it among the tomatoes I guess [;)]

bostaurus

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

http://www.epa.gov/radiation/sources/food_labeling.html

MREs get zapped and last just about forever. (if they could just fix the taste)
I don't think anything can fix the taste!! Though they are better than they used to be, but then I guess they couldn't get worse.

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: botlguy

Just to be crystal clear, as I have not been exposed to these, are you all saying there are no authentic GREEN Bromos? I am certainly familiar with most nuked items but have not heard about other colors such as cobalt blue being nuked. I'm not argueing here, just looking for info.

Jim,
The closest you can get to green Bromos is a dark teal green. I have two that were dug, and they are both BIM. Once they started making them ABM the color variants were eliminated. I kind of use the term "nuked" to describe any bottle that has an artificially altered color, but irradiated, zapped, or fried describe them well too [;)]

cobaltbot

Reaction score
The five inch "green" one in this picture is about as green as it naturally gets and sizes larger than the 4" are rarely off-colored. It seems "nuking" cobalt gives a variety of teal to olive to dark green, that sucks - I wish they would explode!

0504599EBF7E4C5FAFAD91B08D79F476.jpg

Attachments

• 0504599EBF7E4C5FAFAD91B08D79F476.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 81

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cobaltbot
The five inch "green" one in this picture is about as green as it naturally gets and sizes larger than the 4" are rarely off-colored. It seems "nuking" cobalt gives a variety of teal to olive to dark green, that sucks - I wish they would explode!
Thank you very much for that color line up. And to others who have clarified this issue for me. You'd think that after 45 + years of AVIDLY collecting bottles I would know it all but this old codger keeps on learning from you young whippersnappers. I used to think I knew it all but many of you have proved me wrong. THANK YOU !

I do recognize the different methods of artificially changing the color/ shade / tone of glass objects and hate them all as being detrimental to the hobby. Enhancing the SCA depth of tone by exposure to U.V. rays / light, in my opinion, is NOT altering but just speeding a nature process. The trained eye (I have two) can tell the difference.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Cool topic...Green bromos. I've dug a lot of bromos...back in the late 70's I had a bushel basket full. I can count the off colored ones on one hand. I love the prussian smokey blue/tealish ones...Hate to see anyone fradulently selling nuked stuff. Here's the last non cobalt one that I dug.

FFB5D3DCD4B042749CBDA24FBA2A4AC2.jpg

Attachments

• FFB5D3DCD4B042749CBDA24FBA2A4AC2.jpg
    FFB5D3DCD4B042749CBDA24FBA2A4AC2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 74

glass man

Reaction score
Even if it was blood red it would not be worth that price...a one of a kind bromo just would not command that kind of price..would it????[8|] Imagine having a special case made just for that bromo...[8D] JAMIE

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Thanks Jim!
Jamie, I got Dan's one of a kind 4" aqua one for less than a hundred bucks if I remember right so I don't think any of them are worth anywhere close to that. If one of the illusive REAL yellow-green one's ever shows up I'd consider going a couple hundred and that's crazy for a bromo! I still need a nice green 4" one but know I'll have a hard time figuring out if it was dug that way or I'm buying some altered piece of c**p!

55698F2C89894D5AA3E613DC06527F7C.jpg

Attachments

• 55698F2C89894D5AA3E613DC06527F7C.jpg
    55698F2C89894D5AA3E613DC06527F7C.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 78

peejrey

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cobaltbot

Thanks for the healthy reply as I didn't know that some came out naturally teal- greenish blue.
Great info from everyone...I have also notice the seller changed his listing from rare bromo to odd colored bromo... Still minimum at $1850 bucks..
Anyway odd things out there..
_Preston

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown