Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Childs fire extinguisher.

Dogo

DOGO
Apr 8, 2020
72
18
Central NJ
It looks like it might have been filled with with a liquid and hung upside down. The idea was when the heat melted the lead, the liquid put the fire out. It was a fairly common procedure many years ago. Most were thinner and intended to be thrown at the flames, but that would explain the lead cap. They were frequently filled with carbon tetrachloride which generated a toxic gas when heated, so were outlawed years ago.
 

ROBBYBOBBY64

Well-Known Member
Jan 11, 2020
1,452
113
New Jersey
It looks like it might have been filled with with a liquid and hung upside down. The idea was when the heat melted the lead, the liquid put the fire out. It was a fairly common procedure many years ago. Most were thinner and intended to be thrown at the flames, but that would explain the lead cap. They were frequently filled with carbon tetrachloride which generated a toxic gas when heated, so were outlawed years ago.
I googled it and it was a whole cage contraption with a valve you unscrew to mix the liquids. Use it then screw in down to seal again.
 

ROBBYBOBBY64

Well-Known Member
Jan 11, 2020
1,452
113
New Jersey
It looks like it might have been filled with with a liquid and hung upside down. The idea was when the heat melted the lead, the liquid put the fire out. It was a fairly common procedure many years ago. Most were thinner and intended to be thrown at the flames, but that would explain the lead cap. They were frequently filled with carbon tetrachloride which generated a toxic gas when heated, so were outlawed years ago.
This had Sulfuric acid filled to the 4oz. Level. It is not been etched by the acid as others sold I saw. Maybe used soon after purchase. The article said it was used on electric cars I think railroad.
 

ROBBYBOBBY64

Well-Known Member
Jan 11, 2020
1,452
113
New Jersey
This had Sulfuric acid filled to the 4oz. Level. It is not been etched by the acid as others sold I saw. Maybe used soon after purchase. The article said it was used on electric cars I think railroad.
Have you seen the exploding fire extinguishing bombs. That have a 4 fuses wrapped around the ball and filled with a powder. You throw it in the fire it lights the fuses and boom the fire goes out. Very weird. Apparently you can get a couple different ones. YouTube has a video of a guy testing them. He even light one off in his hand. So they must be safe. I wonder what is in that thing he is breathing in?
 
Last edited:

sandchip

Well-Known Member
Sep 1, 2008
4,805
83
Georgia
More than likely, the cap is made of Wood's metal, with a much lower melting point than straight lead, otherwise the house would be a loss by the time the cap melted.
 

Latest posts

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
75,716
Messages
690,594
Members
17,032
Latest member
Tipzyfriendly
Top