Chippewa Water Co. Estevan Saskatchewan

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Canadacan

Reaction score
I cant contain my excitement about receiving this label collection.....at this point I figure some of these labels are quite rare!
They came from a fellow in Montana...they had belonged to his aunt who was born in 1914-1915 and had resided in Harve Mt. which is about 30 miles from the Canada border. This was from a scrap book she had, he is not sure when she collected them but judging by the age of the labels mid 1920's...so she was just a young lady at that time.
Most of the labels are the Chippewa brand and seem to span a few years of label changes, but what really sticks out are the Hires, Jersey Cream, Whistle...and a few from the Citrus products co., Kist, Chocolate Solder, Loko.
This is what I found so far for information on Chippewa Water Co. so essentially it look as though the company formed about 1920-21 and were located on 1225 4th st Estevan Sask. they also bottled Coca-Cola
From ....A Tale That is Told" history book
"This company was owned by Mike Sloan who came from Saskatoon in 1912. He first operated in a small way in the same building as Gusman's Meat Market which was located on Fourth Street. A little later he had a partner named H. B. Gerkey, for two years. In 1923 he erected a $6000 building on Fifth Street and bought completely new equipment which at one time turned out up to nearly 15,000 bottles of soft drinks per day under twenty-two different labels. The building was later occupied by J. M. Sinclair Co. wholesale grocery. He sold his equipment and franchises to Laing's of Weyburn in 1945. Retiring in Estevan, Mr. Sloan died in 1954.

Chippewa Water Co. labels 2.jpg

Chippewa Water Co. labels.jpg

Hires-Chippewa Water Co..jpg[SUB][/SUB]

Canadacan

Reaction score
Thanks sunner...I don't think it was to bold of a claim.....after 29 years of collecting you think you had seen it all, love the fact that this stuff is still out there to be discovered.

RCO

Reaction score
the labels are neat , any idea what kind of bottles they would of used ? it seem odd to put kist or hires in plain bottles and just put a label on it , although it appears that's what they might of done . is there bottles from Estevan marked Chippewa water co ?

Canadacan

Reaction score
Well most bottlers before the craze of having a patent bottle took off used generic bottles, but Whistle for instance used a generic but they were marked 'Whistle' and used paper the paper label shown above. As for the Hires I can only assume at this point the bottler used their own bottle, and possibly the same for the Kist. I have yet to see any early bottles from Chippewa, although there is a Art Deco in existence ...I'll try to find a photo of it.

Here is an example of bottles that used paper labels.

20160916_065925.jpg

Here are the early Whistle bottles...note the first has RD., 1923....... the stippled finish seem very very tough to find! ...smooth finsh is much more common.

20160916_070640.jpg

This is the bottom of the RD., 1923....it has the Dominion Glass mark D within a diamond...note the reverse 3.
20160916_083837.jpg

I have yet to a see Whistle in the Prioff top....but as you can see this style bottle was still in production in 1926 and probably used right up to the late 20's with a bit of overlap as the new curvy registered Whistle bottle was introduced in 1926...I have one dated 1927/28...double date code.
1926 Illinois Glass Co. Bottle Catalog

1926 illinois glass catalog-Priof -Whistle.jpg

Last edited:

iggyworf

Reaction score
Those are some cool labels. Great score. I like the Whistle bottles. I have a smooth finish one.

RCO

Reaction score
the art deco is neat , its definity from Estevan SK as well ? it does appear to be from the same company . I haven't seen a lot of Saskatchewan bottles so not familiar with them

I've seen a few whistle bottles around here , not sure if I've seen those exact ones before but there is similar ones around Ontario . it was a fairly widely distributed beverage

Canadacan

Reaction score
Yes the bottle is from Sask. Never knew Whistle was out this early or trademarked...from the Lexington History Museum......

The Orange Whistle Corporation of St Louis trademarked the Whistle brand of orange soda in January 1916. Whistle was created by Charles L. Grigg, who later created 7 Up.References:
William M. Ambrose, Soda Pop, Limestone Press, Lexington, 2007

Whistle 1917 St. Louis.jpg

June 1916 newsprint ad. from Lexington Kentucky
Whistle-1916-Lexington Kentucky.jpg

Also wanted to share this ad from 1924 that depicts the same label I have.
whistle-1924-ad.jpg

And this is a side by side comparison of the 1916 vs 1924 label...note that the earlier ad depicts a generic bottle...while the 1924 ad shows the registered bottle, that took place in 1923.
Whistle label comparison 1916 vs 1924.jpg

Attachments

• Whistle 1917 St. Louis.jpg
    Whistle 1917 St. Louis.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

Canadacan

Reaction score
One thing I had not really considered before was the amount of labels that were generic in design....This label is basically the same as one of the designs of the Chippewa Water co. but is from G.H. Simmons, Charlottetown, P.E.I....this label dose show a size of 8oz whereas the Chippewa shows none in the same space. There are 10 flavors from this bottler available online.

GH Simmons-Charlottetown P.E.I.-generic label.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora