Civil war buttons

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JGUIS

Reaction score
I found one in the crawl of a cabin, but can't get it clean. Should I make an electrolisis bucket? Is there an easier way? It's pretty solid, but I'm afraid of screwing it up, as it's my first good button. Thanks for any help.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Never clean a civil war button by electrolysis unless you want to make it worthless.
A little soap and water is best to use first.

JGUIS

Reaction score
I did that already, used a toothbrush. There is however, either a patina, or mineral buildup to the point that all of the detail is muddied up. I would just like to get it to the point that I can determine exactly which type button it is, or read the text on the back. I'd post a pic, but the eagle is almost invisible.

cc6pack

Reaction score
Josh

Post a clear close up of the front and back, and the diameter. If its a regular eagle button there's no real value there. Nice find but they're common as all get out. A lot of the buttons had gold gilt and the reaction between the ground, the brass, and gilt can be diffucult to clean. As gunther stated do not clean if you're sure what you're doing. I have an Alberts button book and can look up your button if you post a pic and description.

digger mcdirt

Reaction score
As everyone says leave the Patina alone don't try to force it off you will ruin the value. You can soak it in a solution of about 50 % lemon juice and 50 % water and the crust on it will soften up. I do this on high end and low end buttons I dig. Just watch it and after it soaks for a few minutes take it out and brush it with a soft tooth brush. You can see if it needs to be put in and the steps repeated. Lemon juice will also bring out the gilt if it has any. There are a million different ways people swear by as for cleaning them ammonia is a good one for green patina but it is something you need to have experience with on soaking items or you will ruin them. I would use the lemon juice just watch it and don't leave it for long periods without taking it out and checking it. bob

RedGinger

Reaction score
What is the button made of? Brass? If I lived in the South, I'd know because I'd be out looking for artifacts like that all the time. Did anyone see the treasure hunters show on the travel channel where she is looking for civil war artifacts?
What is the best way to use ammonia? I have a few things I'd like to clean up and I have not tried ammonia yet. Thanks.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
You can find civil war artifacts in the north too. Everyone was in on the fun[;)]
You just dont have civil war battlefields up there. You have something even better , revolutionary relics.

cc6pack

Reaction score
Red

I can only speak for Civil War collectors, DO NOT CLEAN any object. This pertains mainly to non ferris metals, iron objects are the exception. Most people want the object in found condition, a little dirt and definitely any patina will only help in the way of thinking. Below are two belt plates that were just rinsed with water and lightly brushed off.

08B19004E1D34465B380FB13D0A76178.jpg

Attachments

• 08B19004E1D34465B380FB13D0A76178.jpg
    08B19004E1D34465B380FB13D0A76178.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 86

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado