Civil war opium bottle.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
With bottles like this it's interesting to think about what it was used for. That very bottle could have treated the pain of a wounded soldier.
Right! Opium was the number one med for pain in the civil war. Odd right, how civil could it be with people fighting like that!
LOL!
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Kheidecker

Reaction score
Yeah I keep in touch with our local historical Society guy and donate a lot of it to him so he can be seen for decades. I buy a lot of stuff but then I also dug up a lot of stuff and digging up the stuff is by far much better. I think of the person that threw the object away over a hundred years ago. I find something cool man I'll be shaking.KEEP DIGGING

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
That's all good stuff. My issue is I don't get down south as much as I would like and then to get permission to dig an old camp site of a major battle is another story. Inks from the Battle of Fredericksburg and bottles from the Battle of Vicksburg. Confederate bullets from who knows where. I like knowing where the relic was discovered. Nothing better than digging old stuff up and being the first to touch that item in over 100-150 years. What a rush!
ROBBYBOBBY64.

American

Reaction score
Just curious-what makes this an opium bottle rather than a general purpose medicine that could have had any number of nostrums in it? I'd also date this a decade or more before the Civil War honestly.
That bottle definitely predates the Civil War, as far as when it was blown. It could have still been in service during the Civil War.

Bohdan

Reaction score
Keep in mind that opium is a thick tar-like substance. In the 19thC. it was generally supplied in 'cakes' wrapped in paper in metal tins. Perhaps a 'tincture' of opium? But a beautiful bottle.

willong

Reaction score
Keep in mind that opium is a thick tar-like substance. In the 19thC. it was generally supplied in 'cakes' wrapped in paper in metal tins. Perhaps a 'tincture' of opium? But a beautiful bottle.

Good point on the packaging of opium. Up here in the PNW, bottle collectors typically called any small glass vial an opium bottle if it was dug in an aera formerly hosting a Chinese population. The practice persisted despite knowledgeable people making the same point. "Opium bottle' just sounds so much more exotic than "small pill vial."

Tincture of opium, otherwise known as laudanum. Celia Ann "Mattie" Blaylock had the habit, as portrayed in the movie "Tombstone." Several years after the notorious affairs at Tombstone and her parting with Wyatt Earp, Mattie ended her life in Pinal, another Arizona mining camp, with a final dose.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora