Cleaned last weeks pick ups! Brookfield AT&T Hemingray

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Only shard(s) I've ever displayed:
First%2BDug%2BStopper%2B013.JPG
Less than 12 intact examples known. [:eek:] Why would an insulator pop its top? I usually find that the skirt is damaged and that the dome is there.

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Seems to be from electrical overload or a lighting strike. Did you keep the one of twelve or repair it?

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
An overload popped their tops? Interesting. I have only what you see there of that bottle. The local bottle collector with the most complete collection has one intact. The shards currently lay in my room on top of an antique paver. Thus goes my intro into stoneware-- and I am quite pleased that, for once, it was the side with words on it that I dug.

CreekWalker

Reaction score
An overload and other wire stresses, limbs falling on the line, odd angles, high winds, etc. But the removal of insulators, by lineman and dropping them. vertically unto a hard surface create more shards than anything. I can see a collector finding a rare shard, holding it high, in the glaring sun! In pocketknife collecting , a term is used for the passion of the hunt, coined by antique cutlery writer , Dewey P. Ferguson. It is called: The Romance of collecting pocket knives, could be, Case XX or add your own collectible. Old timers were motivated by the hunt, the acquisition the display, and show and tell, new timers are motivated mostly, about the profit made. http://www.insulators.info/photos/photos/731-tea.htm A insulator collector purchases or finds a rare shard , I'm sure because, they don't have that style or CD, and they're just got to have it! This link below illustrates why, and there are 25 more, "in service" stories. Just how many of us, would pull over on the roadside and record or photograph power lines! Personally, if your all about it, I'm all for it!http://www.insulators.info/service/provo.htm Glad your shard shows the lettering, why else would you keep it!

iggyworf

Reaction score
Cool insulator's and links. I have been wanting too get into insulator's lately. I finally got my first one's at the Detroit/Metro bottle show just last week. Nothing special but 6 of them for 10$. I will post pics soon.

CreekWalker

Reaction score
And for $10 bucks ,you already have hit a home run! That's a nice colorful collection! Imagine what $20 more, of careful selections will look like! The one's above, was from six hours of walking and searching. I found the old pole stubs and walked down hill, on one, and then the other side, of the trackless levee, and searched with a garden rake and probe. The lineman just dropped or tossed them downhill, before removing the line in 1968!

Sand_pontil

Reaction score
I see 160's, 106's, 145's, 121, 154, 115, 190 and maybe a 122 front left. You should line those 160's up on a shelf. A lot of people like those for obvious reason.

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Thanks, got a shelf filled with them. Really colorful and makes a nice display. I went to an estate sale today and saw a dozen or so. Plus many fruit jars, but nothing I didn't have.

Sand_pontil

Reaction score
Insulators may also pop a top after they have been discarded if water gets in and freezes. Or if a wooden pin gets soaked and swells up.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown