Cleaning and Repairing ...my basement...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

baltbottles

Reaction score
Matt I think the brick floor laid in a nice herring bone pattern would look great. I hav eseen this in the basement of afew early houses I have been in.

Chris

GuntherHess

Reaction score
laid in a nice herring bone pattern

Yes I'm thinking something in that direction. A few local houses have basements done like that. Looks a lot better to me than a concrete slab.

Weird, I just noticed this post is in "NEW TO THE COLLECTION" , I could have sworn I put it in "CLEANING AND REPAIRING" forum.
Admins can move if you want....

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Gunth,...I did my workshop floor and patio with salvaged bricks from a defunct brickyard south of our town...bedded them in sand. It took quite a few pickup loads, (I believe Penn Digger hauled quite a few for me). Did the workshop floor with pavers, and the patio with regular building sized bricks...there are quite a few patterns and "bonds" that you can lay out easily and look great. Another alternative is "stamped" and colored concrete...They've used it in some of the historic districts around town with good effect (crosswalks, etc) I believe ajohn does some of that kind of work. It looks much better than plain old concrete.

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
I would go with the poly vapor barrier, did it in my 100 year old basement, and it is now desert dry down there.
Brick is great, and the stone dust makes a good bed for them.
Now, one thing. Not all brick is the same. For a nice pattern, you want to find what is called modular paver brick. This type of brick is made to be exactly twice the length as the width. The guys at the mason supply yards should know what it is, I have laid thousands of square feet of this brick over the years around pools, and as sidewalks, patios, and driveways. My home has them as the driveway, and patio. Standard building bricks vary in width and length enough so that one has to leave a joint to keep things nice looking, the modular paver brick is laid much like the concrete pavers, no joints.
In my area, they come from the NJ Shale Brick Co in Williamstown NJ.
Autumn Blend is a nice series in that you get reds, oranges, browns and black bricks for nice color.

carobran

Reaction score
did you find any bottles while digging out the basement

GuntherHess

Reaction score
not too many in the basement, mostly lots of busted up early fruit jars. A couple smaller pontil marked medicines. I found a bunch of bottles under the kitchen floor when I tore that up.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp