Cleaning out a shelf of stuff - should I throw these out?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Tony Kendzior

Reaction score
My days on the planet are numbered. One day yours will be too. Which means what will happen to these bottles when our survivors have to clean out the garage/basement etc.? If you have room, put them is a box with a note to whomever what to do with them. If you don't have room or a desire to keep them for whatever reason, at least perhaps make the effort to find someone else who might be interested. Last option is to throw them away. Either you or your survivors should maybe plan a garage sale while you're alive to limit the pressure on those whose job it will be to decide what to do with all your stuff when you're gone.

American

Reaction score
You really aren't a preservationist are you. It's silly, pathetic, and outrageous to even conjure the idea of ACTULLY throwing these away to be taken to dump full of modern trash, possibly break, and additionally, to possibly never been seen again. A McCORMICK'S EXTRACT CIRCA 1920 !!??? WHAT? That's a $4 bottle! You're crazy, and quite frankly, I don't think you should possess historical objects. Nor, should you be on this forum where we respect and collect bottles. NOT THROW THEM AWAY.
I agree. Don't throw them away. Do something good for the environment and put them in the recycle bin. They won't be worth anything in a thousand years.

LalaGirl

Reaction score
I agree. Don't throw them away. Do something good for the environment and put them in the recycle bin. They won't be worth anything in a thousand years.
Wow! I hope you were joking. That was pretty harsh. You're probably right, but could have said it in a less obnoxious way...

ccpe

Reaction score
I bet if you give some slicks or common bottles to an artist/craftsman they'd be able to find a use for them. I know some people have been able to remove the bottom of beer bottles and use them as lampshades. Could probably work with slick Cokes, slick beers, etc.
There is probably something that can be made from the smaller ones, and slick meds. I'll have to look.
I use all the glass I find for a garden path made of tumbled glass. If anyone in N FL has any, I'll take it!

Attachments

• 20210612_153003223_iOS.jpg
    20210612_153003223_iOS.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 93

Knmuray

Reaction score
I think they're keepers. I really like the fish bottle.
✨I came across a fish bottle at a garage sale—had never seen one before; bought it for $2, just to have. ✨
I’m sure you could do same (sell at a garage sale or on Craigslist-?), and make a sm profit fr them.

Knmuray

Reaction score
✨I came across a fish bottle at a garage sale—had never seen one before; bought it for $2, just to have. ✨
I’m sure you could do same (sell at a garage sale or on Craigslist-?), and make a sm profit fr them.
My bottle didn’t have the label intact nor a cap (I was able to use another cap/cork that fit)—I think the one shown here is more impressive becuz of these features.✨

Knmuray

Reaction score
Is the fish one of those bitters bottles?
I believe it’s a wine bottle—can’t read this bottle’s label, but when I researched for the one I bought (at a garage sale), that’s what they were described as having held; diff colors, I saw 2 slightly diff shapes/designs, all were lovely in detail. :->

Knmuray

Reaction score
You really aren't a preservationist are you. It's silly, pathetic, and outrageous to even conjure the idea of ACTULLY throwing these away to be taken to dump full of modern trash, possibly break, and additionally, to possibly never been seen again. A McCORMICK'S EXTRACT CIRCA 1920 !!??? WHAT? That's a $4 bottle! You're crazy, and quite frankly, I don't think you should possess historical objects. Nor, should you be on this forum where we respect and collect bottles. NOT THROW THEM AWAY.
I agree w/your recommendation not to throw these bottles away, but was surprised in the harshness in tone/words used. (I don’t think it was necessary to berate someone who was asking for feedback/advice.) :-<

Knmuray

Reaction score
My days on the planet are numbered. One day yours will be too. Which means what will happen to these bottles when our survivors have to clean out the garage/basement etc.? If you have room, put them is a box with a note to whomever what to do with them. If you don't have room or a desire to keep them for whatever reason, at least perhaps make the effort to find someone else who might be interested. Last option is to throw them away. Either you or your survivors should maybe plan a garage sale while you're alive to limit the pressure on those whose job it will be to decide what to do with all your stuff when you're gone.
Ah, your recommendations are great, & so important to take note of. My daughter reminds her dad & me about this very topic often—she’s said to go and enjoy our rummage sales “hunts” (we go looking for sales every wkend), but to remember that after we go, her brother & she will be left to go thru things, much of which they'll probably just give to Goodwill. *sigh* She’s also gently reminded me of how difficult it was when my mom passed away, & we had to go thru clear/clean up the family house—definitely not an easy task, & one my husband & I don’t want to leave for our children to have to struggle thru.

willong

Reaction score
I agree w/your recommendation not to throw these bottles away, but was surprised in the harshness in tone/words used. (I don’t think it was necessary to berate someone who was asking for feedback/advice.) :-<

I agree with you. TxBottleDigger is young and passionate about the subject, but still has much to learn about how to gently sway others to the same view.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi