Coal region blob top - F. Krapp

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Screwtop

Reaction score
DSC_0712.jpg
DSC_0713.jpg

Here is a really nice pony or squat blob top from Ashland PA, from the Schuylkill county coal region. I practically spent 1/4 of my life up in Ashland. In the past two recent years, I've been finding excellent spots for glass that I have to check out.

Ashland holds a special place in my heart. My ancestors lived and did business there. My grandmother lives there now, and It's one of my favorite towns just to walk around. It's gone downhill over the years due to the drug crisis, just like any town nowadays.

As for the bottle, this is 1865-1875 from first look. I am unable to find any info on it other than that. I know my grandfather and uncle dug these up by the dozens in their privy digging days, but they sold those along with everything else to make money back then. My guess is it's beer, because there were countless other beer companies in the area. The miners had iron stomachs from what I could tell, lol!

Screwtop

Reaction score
VERY nice! Some name though. I can hear someone asking "Ya still drinkin' that Krapp?" lol.

lol, you're right. Unfortunate, but not much better than some other names up there.

Shmeltzer, Schmidt, Yuengling, heck, look at my name. I'm a Spieles. Nobody knows how to pronounce it, let alone spell it right, lol!

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
Really nice bottle. Thanks for sharing. That's almost back to the Civil War era! I've tried Yuengling beer by the way, and it was awful. But some people apparently still like it since it's the oldest operating brewing in USA.

Screwtop

Reaction score
Really nice bottle. Thanks for sharing. That's almost back to the Civil War era! I've tried Yuengling beer by the way, and it was awful. But some people apparently still like it since it's the oldest operating brewing in USA.

Everybody I know up there guzzles it like it's water. I mean two or three boxes a week! It's even on store shelves down here now. I know every time we go up to PA, my mom and dad get a box directly from the brewery.

Even though it tastes bad, don't discount the bottles! A Yuengling blob top pre-1890 can fetch a couple hundred dollars or more sometimes.

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
Everybody I know up there guzzles it like it's water. I mean two or three boxes a week! It's even on store shelves down here now. I know every time we go up to PA, my mom and dad get a box directly from the brewery.

Even though it tastes bad, don't discount the bottles! A Yuengling blob top pre-1890 can fetch a couple hundred dollars or more sometimes.
I understand what you mean. I like Schlitz and Rolling Rock bottles even if the beer itself is not very good.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado