Cobalt Blue Bottle with Spout

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Staffords style ink. Not ABM even though the seam goes up to the lip. Turn of century. Don't think I've seen a cobalt one that wasn't staffords but I could be wrong.

Jim G

Shellbay

Reaction score
Staffords style ink. Not ABM even though the seam goes up to the lip. Turn of century. Don't think I've seen a cobalt one that wasn't staffords but I could be wrong.

Jim G
ABM? Turn of the century? Early 1900’s?

CanadianBottles

Reaction score

Jim G
Not ABM? It's got a suction scar on the base, are you referring to it being one made on one of the early semi-automatic machines? I'm not sure how to recognize bottles made on those.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Pretty much all the Staffords of that form have a base that looks like that, even the ones with a definite tooled lip. I've seen that form only rarely in fully automatic bottle machine (ABM) and they always have the Owens Ring around the neck. I'm pretty sure that's still a tooled lip hand blown despite the base. Turn of Century = roughly 1890 to 1910. ABM was invented around 1905, so after TOC.

The in-between style semi automatic bottle machines? I know I can't absolutely recognize one of those. Wish Red who used to be on here was still with us. He'd be able to tell us what to look for, he was in the business for decades.

Jim G

Shellbay

Reaction score
Pretty much all the Staffords of that form have a base that looks like that, even the ones with a definite tooled lip. I've seen that form only rarely in fully automatic bottle machine (ABM) and they always have the Owens Ring around the neck. I'm pretty sure that's still a tooled lip hand blown despite the base. Turn of Century = roughly 1890 to 1910. ABM was invented around 1905, so after TOC.

The in-between style semi automatic bottle machines? I know I can't absolutely recognize one of those. Wish Red who used to be on here was still with us. He'd be able to tell us what to look for, he was in the business for decades.

Jim G
Thank you! And thank you for writing out the terminology! I’m still learning. This bottle is now one of my favorites!

K6TIM

Reaction score
Do these pictures help?
Look at where the seam of the ink bottle goes if it thru the lip or top of bottle it after 1904.The bottle bottom is called key bottom mold.This means the bottle bottom was included in the iron mold back before 1900 on 2 piece molds.Nice find
K6TIM

CanadianBottles

Reaction score

Jim G
Looking at this photo that Shellbay posted, I'm pretty sure that's not a tooled lip considering how high the seam goes. It's funny, it looks a lot more like a tooled lip from other angles. And I think I see what you mean about an Owens ring around the neck, there's some sort of uneven ring visible in this picture.

1648667820706.png

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Looking at the blown up lip, it's hard to tell as the lip's a bit rough, but that may be a ring around the bottom edge of the lip, so it may indeed by ABM. The seam going all the way up to the bottom of the lip, if it doesn't continue through the lip, doesn' t mean it isn't a tooled top. They got really good at minimal lip finish towards the end of the pre-ABM period. When the seam goes all the way to the top clearly that's pretty much gotta be ABM.

Jim G

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18