Coca Cola Canton Ohio, real or re-pop?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
Came across this one yesterday, came close to buying it but passed until I know more about it, straight sided Coca Cola from Canton, Ohio, nothing embossed on the bottom or anywhere else best I could tell, after searching the net I still haven't found a good answer, priced rather low so I'm guessing it's not the real deal.
20220723_120123.jpg
20220723_120130.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That's an odd looking one, but I really doubt it's a repro. It doesn't look like the sort of thing that someone would reproduce, and the style of manufacture looks right for the era (seeing the base would help a lot). The condition is unusually good, I'm wondering if that might be because it was tumbled at some point, giving it that slightly unnaturally-smooth look.

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
That's an odd looking one, but I really doubt it's a repro. It doesn't look like the sort of thing that someone would reproduce, and the style of manufacture looks right for the era (seeing the base would help a lot). The condition is unusually good, I'm wondering if that might be because it was tumbled at some point, giving it that slightly unnaturally-smooth look.
I may still snag it, I don't have a straight side Coca Cola in a clear bottle, only amber. I'll see if I have a bottle that looks similar on the bottom as this one did and post a pic if I have one, best I can describe it is, pretty much flat in the center round portion with the the sides of the bottle rounding around the bottom, so the center of the bottom is "inward" and it stands on the rounded edges.

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
Here's a pic that it looks like less the embossed number, it is thick glass.20220724_085422.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah based on the bottom I don't think there's any realistic chance of it being a repro. Looks like a lot of base wear too, so might not have been tumbled even.

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
I had to run out in the same direction as where the bottle was this morning, so I stopped and grabbed it, here's my pictures once back home with it.20220724_134036.jpg20220724_134030.jpg20220724_134049.jpg

DavidW

Reaction score
Yes, definitely an old one, not a reproduction. Also, are there any tiny letters or numbers along the lower heel of the bottle? Sometimes there are date codes and/or glassmaker initials, often very hard to read.

Illinois Glass, Graham Glass, and Root Glass Company made lots of soda bottles with faint lettering along the heel.

If there are no markings on the heel, it was probably made by a smaller or more "obscure" bottle making company that didn't bother to identify their bottles for one reason or other.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
Looks legit to me, that's the early 1910's machine-made design. The glass was pretty distinct looking in this time period, unusually clean and clear compared to earlier glass that had more impurities. I remember finding bottles looking like this from that period and was surprised how clear they were. The glass also broke alot easier than the older bottles.

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
Yes, definitely an old one, not a reproduction. Also, are there any tiny letters or numbers along the lower heel of the bottle? Sometimes there are date codes and/or glassmaker initials, often very hard to read.

Illinois Glass, Graham Glass, and Root Glass Company made lots of soda bottles with faint lettering along the heel.

If there are no markings on the heel, it was probably made by a smaller or more "obscure" bottle making company that didn't bother to identify their bottles for one reason or other.
Thanks for that info, I did just look with a magnifying glass and did find "17N" and the the number 2 spaced about a half inch away from the "17N", mean anything?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu