Coca Cola Canton Ohio, real or re-pop?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

UnderMiner

Reaction score
I'd guess 17N = 1917.
..The 2 ?
That was my first thought as well but were straight-sided cokes still made after the hobble skirt design was patented in 1915?

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Maybe for a short time: A) Perhaps all local bottlers couldn't update machinery right away
B) they were using up the cheaper, old straight sided stock first
C) We need a Coke guy to weigh in :)

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
Maybe for a short time: A) Perhaps all local bottlers couldn't update machinery right away
B) they were using up the cheaper, old straight sided stock first
C) We need a Coke guy to weigh in :)
That was my thought as well.

DavidW

Reaction score
Thanks for that info, I did just look with a magnifying glass and did find "17N" and the the number 2 spaced about a half inch away from the "17N", mean anything?
The "17N" mark is one of many similar marks on bottles made by American Bottle Company. The "N" represents their glass factory at Newark, Ohio. Yes the 17 is a date code for 1917, which makes it very nice that we can narrow down the age of that bottle closely!!! About 105 years old. The "2" is probably a mold number.
(Just for another bit of trivia................ Other soda bottles found with an "S" instead of an "N" were made at their bottle factory in Streator, Illinois).

DavidW

Reaction score
That was my first thought as well but were straight-sided cokes still made after the hobble skirt design was patented in 1915?
UnderMiner, it seems there were still a few straight side Cokes (here and there around the country) made after the Hobbleskirt design was introduced , but they "faded away" pretty quickly. I think it just took a little time for everybody to get on the same page.
Some smaller, local bottling outfits that sold Coke might have had a supply of the older style bottles made for them - for just a short while after 1915.
Since Root Glass introduced the "Hobbleskirt" in 1915 that would not have (immediately) stopped other bottle manufacturers (competitors like American Bottle Company) from making a few straight sides even after that year, if they were ordered.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu