Coca-Cola "Family" Size - "26 fl oz" vs "1 Pint, 10 fl oz"

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

shadeone

Reaction score
In 1955, Coca-Cola came out with "King Size" (10oz and 12oz) bottles as well as "Family Size" (26oz).

The "king size" came out in both all embossed like the classic Coke bottles:
mChwft.jpg

as well as the "transition" bottles which had the Coca-Cola script logo in white ACL but still had the contents line below it embossed:
G0LwUU.jpg

The "family" size bottle only came in the half acl / half embossed "transition" style (although there are rumors of an all embossed one but I've never seen one and chances are that it was just a prototype):
T1LahQ.jpg

The interesting part of the "family size" bottles is the contents line. There are two versions. One says "Contents 26 Fl Ozs" and the other says "Contents 1 Pint 10 Fl Ozs:
1f32nA.jpg

I have only been able to find the 26 Fl Ozs version dated in the first year of the family size, 1955. I've been able to find the 1 Pint 10 Fl Ozs version from 1955 to the early 60s.
I'm just wondering why there were two versions and if the 26 Fl Ozs version actually continued past 1955.
Newspaper articles from early 1955 announcing the release of the new bottles all call it the "26 ounce" bottle:
2Ic15G.jpg

My thought is that they came out with both but discontinued the "26 Fl Ozs" version after a year in favor of the "1 Pint 10 Fl Ozs" version, but I have no proof of this and would like to find some, or any reasoning as to why there were two versions in the first place really.

bottle-o-pop

Reaction score
I have an all-embossed (non-ACL) crown-top hobble-skirt 26oz Coke bottle, but it is a NDNR bottle. It is colorless. It is quite rare. It appears to have a date code for 1966.
There is a vaguely similar 12-oz NDNR also. It is also rarely seen.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac