Codd bottlw

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Peter Boyd

Reaction score
Hi , I found this codd bottle in Halifax Harbour NS on the weekend. It is embossed with DAVID PETERS and THRUMS on the front and RYLAND LO(?) and BARNSLEY on the back. Does any one know what was in it and a date
20200720_092258.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Nice find! Shame it's not a Canadian Codd, those are really tough to find. Not that it's that easy to find British Codds in Canada either.
I had a tough time figuring out where this one was from since there is no town called "Thrums" apart from a tiny village in BC where this bottle definitely isn't from. Turns out it's actually from Kirriemuir, Scotland. The playwright and novelist J.M. Barrie (who wrote Peter Pan) was from there and wrote nostalgic stories about his hometown, which he renamed Thrums in his novels. This lead to it becoming a tourist attraction for fans of the books, which I suppose lead to merchants such as David Peters wanting to capitalize on that success. He's listed here in 1901 in Kirriemuir as an aerated water manufacturer, which places him in the right era for J.M. Barrie's popularity https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Edinburgh/issue/11318/page/768/data.pdf

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky