Codd neck

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jstorm

Reaction score
Question I am assuming codd neck is a type of bottle! Is $35 a good price for one. Thanks

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Same answer as whether that's a good price for a crown top - it's entirely dependent on the bottle beneath the top. Codd bottles are ones which are sealed with a marble. It was a popular type of bottle in some parts of the world around the time Hutchinsons were in use, and had a similar idea behind the design. But unlike Hutchinsons, Codds never entirely went away and are still used in a few Asian countries. So it could be a fantastic deal. Could also be an absurd price for an empty Japanese soda bottle that they just finished drinking after buying it at an international food store. If it's a bottle you're seeing described as "Codd neck bottle" with no picture or additional information, it's likely a modern slick (or nearly slick) Codd from India, dating from somewhere between the 1980s and yesterday. Loads of them are brought over here and sold as curiosities because they look old even though they still use them. Still worth asking what it says on the bottle though. If it's embossed from the UK it's not worth paying that much unless it's an unusual colour or something. If it's from North America it's an incredible deal.

Jstorm

Reaction score
Same answer as whether that's a good price for a crown top - it's entirely dependent on the bottle beneath the top. Codd bottles are ones which are sealed with a marble. It was a popular type of bottle in some parts of the world around the time Hutchinsons were in use, and had a similar idea behind the design. But unlike Hutchinsons, Codds never entirely went away and are still used in a few Asian countries. So it could be a fantastic deal. Could also be an absurd price for an empty Japanese soda bottle that they just finished drinking after buying it at an international food store. If it's a bottle you're seeing described as "Codd neck bottle" with no picture or additional information, it's likely a modern slick (or nearly slick) Codd from India, dating from somewhere between the 1980s and yesterday. Loads of them are brought over here and sold as curiosities because they look old even though they still use them. Still worth asking what it says on the bottle though. If it's embossed from the UK it's not worth paying that much unless it's an unusual colour or something. If it's from North America it's an incredible deal.

Jstorm

Reaction score
I appreciate that. Obviously I know nothing about but I watch when you guys talk about them. I think I will pass unless I have the bottle in my hand. Thanks for that and Merry Christmas!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I appreciate that. Obviously I know nothing about but I watch when you guys talk about them. I think I will pass unless I have the bottle in my hand. Thanks for that and Merry Christmas!
You're welcome, and Merry Christmas to you too!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown