Coggins McNally 1880's soda bottle question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

XwafflesX

Reaction score
Hello ! I have finally found a bottle from my great grandfathers company after years of searching. I have a question about the lettering on the bottle. I have never seen a bottle like this with black writing ... or really any old bottle with black filled into the letters. Is this something that someone did to the bottle recently or was it original to the bottle? Here is a link with photos:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C...mp;hash=item3389e35fb8

Thank you. [attachment=bottle.jpg] <Edit: Image added>

Attachments

• 4B8A6B5369AF4D9C93D50454DC2D1F32.jpg
    4B8A6B5369AF4D9C93D50454DC2D1F32.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 118

ACLbottles

Reaction score
Somebody painted the letters so the embossing could be read from a distance. Not original, but it should be removable.

PoisonBottleGuy

Reaction score
Very cool that you finally came across this. I too am wanting for that special day when I run across a milk bottle from my family dairy..it could happen...[;)]

XwafflesX

Reaction score
Wouldn't that affect the value then? Typically I see Hutchinson bottles to for less... Besides the writing it looks to be in great shape though.

Would it be easy to take off and what would you recommend to use?
I have had a saved search for years on eBay and finally got a link to one! Just need to get a bottle from the original location in PA.

Thanks guys!

ACLbottles

Reaction score
It shouldn't be that hard to remove, just use nail polish remover. It won't affect the value if you remove it all.

Good luck!

ACLbottles

Reaction score
There's a website called "hutchbook.com" that catalogues hutches, and there are two variations of this bottle listed. The one on ebay is rated as scarce (10-100 known) and the other variation is listed as rare (1-10 known). Obviously, the other one's gonna be a little tougher to find, but be aware there is another variation.

XwafflesX

Reaction score
The hutchbook website is actually where I first learned a couple years ago that an Omaha bottle existed. My 96 year old grandfather didn't even know they ran the business in Omaha! Pittston, PA is where the family is from and where the business originated. We have advertisements for the business there. I was in contact with the person who sold a Pittston bottle on ebay 13 years ago (the one in the photo on hutchbook) but he said ebay did not save the buyers information from that long ago. My great grandfathers brother and partner, Peter McNally went to Omaha to run the business there as a second location while my great grandfather continued to run the original location in PA. I am more interested in finding a Pittston bottle as the business was there for much longer but that bottle is listed as rare. I am glad this bottle on ebay appears to be in great shape but I wish the black marker wasn't on it. Hopefully I can get it off when I hopefully win it!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu