Coin collector turns to bottles. My story (Also looking for New Brunswick/Maine info

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Five dollars is reasonable for the soda bottles if they're in good condition, but a bit unreasonable for the bleach bottles. I mean people do it quite a lot, but I wouldn't expect them to sell. I sell bottles at a flea market sometimes and I have a hard time selling that kind of stuff for 25 cents. Bottles like that are everywhere in the woods. The Squibb bottle wasn't a poison, it was a generic medicine bottle used for various products produced by the Squibb company.

In terms of collecting local bottles my advice would be to be patient. You'll probably find them for quite cheap one of these days. Buying up all the ones you see right at the start will cost you a lot of money unnecessarily. Generally in my experience sellers don't play up the local aspect for ACL sodas and local sodas will often cost more in other parts of the country where they aren't as common. Pharmacy bottles on the other hand are generally best to buy in other parts of the country, if you can find them. Which generally you can't. I collect B.C. bottles and live in Ontario, and I've only ever found one B.C. pharmacy bottle here. It was a good one though, and I got it for quite cheap compared to how much they sell for in B.C. If you're lucky, your area won't have a lot of bottle collectors and the bottles will be fairly cheap because there isn't much demand.

You're pretty likely to one day come across someone who will sell you local ACL sodas for five bucks a piece, especially if you befriend any local collectors. Or come across someone like this guy http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collecti...-7/1088596297?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true Really wish I was at that sale today.

I was looking at Woodstock bottles online and found a few Baird bottles, two of which are for sale for ridiculous prices.
This one might be a somewhat reasonable price I guess http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Amb...06718e7&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=281990195441

This one is definitely not a reasonable price but look at that baby on the box, that face would almost make me want to pay that much for it. I have to wonder whether the illustrator had ever seen a baby before. It looks like a picture of Mike Duffy with hair. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collecti...ox/1161449666?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

And then there's this one which isn't for sale anymore. I don't know how much they were charging for it but generally bottles like this are worth about five dollars barring any exceptional extenuating circumstances. https://www.google.ca/search?q=wood...hUFLB4KHVOtBIUQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=LDoul5nk7Ud3DM:

You said you had a couple Baird bottles, which ones do you have?

RCO

Reaction score
saw one of those Sussex NB ginger ale bottles at the yard sale , 30 oz acl bottle , guy wanted $10 for it , although it might be worth more out east I don't know

found another interesting bottle book at a yard sale as well , also from Unitt's but from 1986 and larger than other price guide , at first I almost discarded it as other unit's price guide I have it rather pointless but this one has a lot of good info in it , a lot of pictures of east coast ginger beers and some nova scotia bottles .
lots of pictures of older Ontario bottles too like hutches and ginger beers, some that aren't even listed in other books ,although prices a little undated , some too high and others too low , some of the bottles they have pics of are so rare i don't think you'd even find any for sale to begin with

P5080001.jpg

Harmonica

Reaction score
Hey RCO, I own that Friar's Balsam. I think I paid 12 for it.

The Veggie worm one is now down to $70 so I think he relies his price is a wee bit high. I loved the ad though.

Some guy who is new to bottle collecting offered me $10 for the six javex bottles. He had some generic no labeled glass bottles. I recently found out a dairy up province didn't have special bottles, just generic ones. I talked to an older women about it and apparently the only thing different about the bottles were those cardboard caps.

I picked up a complete set of General Dairy tokens from Woodstock and one from Grand Falls dairy. Now to find the bottles.

I am going to Saint John for a coin/stamp show so I will keep my eyes open.

A cast iron collector came to the flea market and we have been talking. He has some old kettles so I may have a lead there.

22nd, a new flea market. I can not wait to get back. I have some more generic bottles and a few mason jars I want to research. I am having a blast.

RCO

Reaction score
Hey RCO, I own that Friar's Balsam. I think I paid 12 for it.

The Veggie worm one is now down to $70 so I think he relies his price is a wee bit high. I loved the ad though.

Some guy who is new to bottle collecting offered me $10 for the six javex bottles. He had some generic no labeled glass bottles. I recently found out a dairy up province didn't have special bottles, just generic ones. I talked to an older women about it and apparently the only thing different about the bottles were those cardboard caps.

I picked up a complete set of General Dairy tokens from Woodstock and one from Grand Falls dairy. Now to find the bottles.

I am going to Saint John for a coin/stamp show so I will keep my eyes open.

A cast iron collector came to the flea market and we have been talking. He has some old kettles so I may have a lead there.

22nd, a new flea market. I can not wait to get back. I have some more generic bottles and a few mason jars I want to research. I am having a blast.

there is still buyers for javex bottles out there , a couple years ago I sold some older ones I had found from the 40's to a guy off kiijii , he really wanted them for some reason

those generic milk jugs aren't that hard to find , I've found a few of them over the years , often see them for sale at yard sales and such , there is a few different ones made by major glass manufacturers .

I've been to some flea markets before , they can be interested and is some good items to be found if you know what to look for .
you have to watch out for con arrests though , once I had this vendor tell me the bottle was so much a price only for him to talk to partner and suddenly it was a different higher price , at that point I told them I wasn't interested in it anymore

ScottBSA

Reaction score
Terry,
Thanks for the entry story. We all have one. I live in Kansas City, Missouri. Stranger things than bottles from New Brunswick and Nova Scotia have turned up here. I'll keep my eye out for more Canadian bottles.

Scott

RCO

Reaction score

RCO

Reaction score
just noticed the felix Quinn is listed in that bottle price guide from 80's said it was worth $25 , haven't seen the blue ribbon before so need to try and find out more about it somehow

Harmonica

Reaction score
Thank you Scott and thank you RCO.

A neighbor of mine, when she moved into her house, found a crate of Baird's vanilla extract. 6 full bottles. She since used them all and tossed them.

No bottles in the Saint John Show but the flea market is coming up and I have some old mason jars to sell/trade. Just doing my research now.

RCO

Reaction score
noticed an Ontario bottle on ebay and saw the seller was from nova scotia so though they might have some east coast bottles and sure enough they did , a bluenose acl from Halifax , new Glasgow ns bottle , yarmouth ns bottle , hutch from Halifax
bluenosegingeraleNS.jpgnewglasgow-francesdrake.jpgyarmouthbottlingNS.jpg

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Early-Emboss...514326?hash=item4afff03d56:g:7mEAAOSwNsdXRcxZ

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Antique-Bott...989284?hash=item4af16c57a4:g:ykoAAOSwQPlV~xMd

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rare-BLUENOS...505009?hash=item4afff018f1:g:jEYAAOSwUfNXRclU

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Early-Whelan...516740?hash=item4afff046c4:g:JEcAAOSwdG9XRc1M

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp