Cold Water Find!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Was out for some 34 degree C dives the other day with a good buddy. I found a few things, but he scored big! Found this nearly-mint "Morris's Electric Fluid" - Peterborough medicine. Those in the know around here say they've never seen one with a top like it has. Needless to say, my buddy is thrilled! And me? Why, I have first dibs on it's sale! Wahoo! I should mention this bottle is also embossed with "CW" - meaning "Canada West", so it was produced prior to 1867. Anything marked CW or CE ( Canada East ) is much coveted by collectors up this way.

Attachments

• Morris's Electric Fluid - Peterborough.pdf
    391.3 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

RCO

Reaction score
Was out for some 34 degree C dives the other day with a good buddy. I found a few things, but he scored big! Found this nearly-mint "Morris's Electric Fluid" - Peterborough medicine. Those in the know around here say they've never seen one with a top like it has. Needless to say, my buddy is thrilled! And me? Why, I have first dibs on it's sale! Wahoo! I should mention this bottle is also embossed with "CW" - meaning "Canada West", so it was produced prior to 1867. Anything marked CW or CE ( Canada East ) is much coveted by collectors up this way.

seems way too cold to dive here , most of the lakes are frozen over

your picture is hard to view its saved as a file , would seem to be old if its marked CW , haven't seen that bottle before but haven't seen a lot of the older Peterborough bottles

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
seems way too cold to dive here , most of the lakes are frozen over

your picture is hard to view its saved as a file , would seem to be old if its marked CW , haven't seen that bottle before but haven't seen a lot of the older Peterborough bottles

Yes indeed, the water is chilly. We only have a few faster rivers we can dive through the winter, as they never freeze. I'll ask him to send me some better pics - that one was taken at the dive site, for a quick share.

RCO

Reaction score
Yes indeed, the water is chilly. We only have a few faster rivers we can dive through the winter, as they never freeze. I'll ask him to send me some better pics - that one was taken at the dive site, for a quick share.

how do they know it was a medicine bottle ? say electric fluid ? but would assume some type of quak medicine which was sold back then which cured something

hard to view cause its wants to download in adobe reader , not on site itself

is a picture of a similar bottle on google posted by a peteborough collector , not sure if i''ve seen one before myself

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
how do they know it was a medicine bottle ? say electric fluid ? but would assume some type of quak medicine which was sold back then which cured something

hard to view cause its wants to download in adobe reader , not on site itself

is a picture of a similar bottle on google posted by a peteborough collector , not sure if i''ve seen one before myself

My buddy just told me there's only one other known example of this bottle's particular top.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Nice find! Looks like an unusually late bottle to be marked CW, I figure it was probably just them taking a while to switch over to calling it Ontario because that looks like an 1880s or 90s bottle, I have a hard time imagining it's from the pontil era.

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Dan, 34 C converts to 93.2 F . . . were you diving next to a volcano? :D
Hah! At 62 I’m still struggling with my confusion with C vs. F! Canada switched to metric in the early 70’s, but I still think in Imperial.

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Nice find! Looks like an unusually late bottle to be marked CW, I figure it was probably just them taking a while to switch over to calling it Ontario because that looks like an 1880s or 90s bottle, I have a hard time imagining it's from the pontil era.

Now that you mention it, it does look newer; it has a shape similar to the Northrop & Lyman from Newcastle, though the comparison pictured here has an unusual top as well.
NR&L Newcastle C.W. Variant.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora