Color Question - Opinions wanted

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well after seeing the excellent green Greeley's bottle that went through the American Glass Gallery auction that just ended, it sparked up my curiosity in the example I have vs. the one that sold. I welcome any comments that you may provide. I'd like to know how much of a comparison do you see in the two bottles as in color? Although I can't provide the high intensity lighting background that was very wonderfully photographed, hopefully you can still compare between the photos. To me the barrel that was auctioned shows a little more yellow to it, but I can't be sure that the brightness isn't washing some of the olive out? What do you think?

http://www.rtam.com/agg/cgi-bin/SHOWITEM.CGI

Lot 133

“Greeley’s Bourbon / Bittersâ€, America, 1860 – 1875. Light to medium clear olive green, barrel form, applied square collared mouth – smooth base, ht. 9 ¼â€, perfect! R/H #G101. A spectacular piece, perhaps the finest known example of a Greeley’s barrel in terms of color and condition. A rare, outstanding color having virtually no amber or smoke tone as is typically encountered. Pictured in “A Treasury of American Bottles,†p.9. Provenance: Ex. Dr. Burton Spiller collection.

Note; here is your chance to own what is undoubtedly one of the finest examples of a Greeley’s barrel with tremendous eye appeal, outstanding color, clarity and condition!
Current Bid: $ 6,500 (15 Bids)

Lot133-1.jpg

100_3431.jpg
100_3430.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
I'd think it is very very close to being the same color if photographed under the same conditions Tim, your's does appear to bit a bit 'smokey' as John describes in the auction..IMHO

tigue710

Reaction score
the auction photographs are painstakingly taken under conditions that will avail to the truest color as the bottle would appear to the naked eye. What you see in the photograph is what the bottle will look like in your hand. I would guess in your photograph your bottle appears just a tad bit darker then when your holding it? If not then I would say yours is a little darker... but they do appear to be from the same batch of glass... your example could be a little thicker?

epackage

Reaction score
Side by side for comparison...

D032D10658DE46E883F3E337DE667B4F.jpg

Attachments

• D032D10658DE46E883F3E337DE667B4F.jpg
    D032D10658DE46E883F3E337DE667B4F.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 56

bottlekid76

Reaction score
I think it is a little thicker Matt, it appears so.

Great side by side photo Jim! Thanks [:)]

botlguy

Reaction score
One cannot definitively compare color this way but they are close to the same. Is yours better or not as good? That's in the eye of the beholder / bidder. As a formerly serious BITTERS collector I would say yours is as good / valuable. I had a nice one but would have added yours to my collection, depending on condition, in a heat beat. Nice, nice piece.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey bottlekid,
I know nothing of the bottle in question but in my humble opinion, your color is very rarely seen. Yours is more grey / smokey. But that may be more common for that bottle for all I know.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky