Common bottle list

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

peejrey

Reaction score
Yes I know, they are getting a nice, new display case in about 2 weeks..
They all are on display right now.
You will be getting some thing from me, as soon as the funds fill up again.[;)]
All I mean is nothing is common to me, if it sees the light of day after years in the ground then, it is not common. So watch what you say about the Chambelains, and the Kilmers, People!!!

epackage

Reaction score
I like commons too, as long as they are Paterson commons...[:D]

Picklejar

Reaction score
This is a valuable time saver for the noobs! But I have to say that I have a Winslows soothing syrup rolled lip bottle that I still think is pretty damn cool!-Joe

AB41A3A49E324031925BB339E54C714A.jpg

Attachments

• AB41A3A49E324031925BB339E54C714A.jpg
    AB41A3A49E324031925BB339E54C714A.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 115

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I find it helps to have consulted this list often. It's on the website antiquebottles.com, and I have it bookmarked. It saves me some of my hard earned cash at antique stores, and it saves me the time of asking "What is it?" on this forum if I dig one... [:D]

RED Matthews

Reaction score
My two cents!! I just needed a reason and have had the span of nearly 75 years of glass and bottle collecting. I feel a great amount of my learning about bottle making before 1900, came from reading and looking for bottles with forming anomaly marks, has given me a great deal of satisfaction in bottle collecting. I found that the Case Gin bottles, early Demijohns, and the collecting of Sodas and Mineral Waters; have all given me a chance to study the development of manufacturing changes that came about to meet the production demands for containers to these product lines. A specialized objective makes the collection of glass items, very satisfying. RED Matthews

GuntherHess

Reaction score
In general those listed are common bottles but I see at least a half dozen bottles on that list that have variants worth bring home.
Its hard to make generalized statements because many popular products were made over a long stretch of time. Pond's Extract for example has a pontil marked version and machine made version with basically the same embossing.
Its just as important to learn to estimate dates of bottles as it is to memorize the embossing.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Excellent point Matt, Everyone needs to know the pontil mark and finish changes. Both of these knowledge of recognition, needs to be basic learning. Thanks! RED Matthews

VTdigger

Reaction score
Some of these commons I haven't come accross yet knowingly anyway.

I agree with Guntherhess on it being to vague on some bottles,
There's also errors to look for ,I know the back words Z in Bromo Seltzer and a few other Bromo errors. Knowing that, I do take a quick glance at other commons, such as Foss,Listerine etc. Before I toss em aside. I have never found nor heard of any errors in any other common bottles besides Bromo's

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I have tried to abide such a list, but something about it makes me uncomfortable.. like when your standing in line and you gotta pee..
..maybe because it has to be a lot longer before it stops looking like somebody's personal vendetta..[8|]

VTdigger

Reaction score
and just because there common don't make them bad bottle's I'm sure most people get into digging after they find one of these bottles, I collect pretty much every kind of bottle rare or not, there's alot that look the same, but if it has different embossing,shape,size or defect, I'll save at least 1 version of each variant more if there rare examples and bring it home. Some bottle like Bromo's and Atwoods I never get sick of finding. I plan to display some of my bromos, store some, and donate some.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94