Common, but Cool!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
This dive day saw me find something I've been looking for but just couldn't locate - until now! A beautiful, sparkling Belfast / Ross round bottom! I know they're fairly common, but it's great to finally have one for my collection.
IMG_6865.jpeg

Last edited:

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Nice finds! Those Ross's bottles are funny because they're really common but don't seem to show up in the wild very often, at least not for me. I don't remember ever seeing even a shard of one. They only seem to show up in antique stores.

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
I have a question for you- Shasta lake is only at 40% capacity- I have never seen it like it is, and I’ve lived here my whole life. I spent the last year finding beautiful crystal clusters out there as the water drops. I was shopping for a houseboat, the winter before last and the lake was full- all 365 miles of shoreline- full. Since then, I have watched them drain our lake and sell it to LA! It’s so shockingly low, looks like a river, over the weekend. And I was thinking, as it drops, the bottles that must be at the bottom of the lake. Would they be deep in what was mud? Or on top of it? I wonder if they are in the dried mud, how deep they would have sank, or if u have any tips on locating them? Or should I stick with the crystals that now, I can’t wash. (50 gallons per day per person, or a $1000 fine.)
268b21fda36f55e8e60167a7291d5abb.jpg

200f1e92db28546ff66537a93b92a84e.jpg

Hard to launch but we did it.n I don’t know for how long…. What am I supposed to do with a brand new patio boat? Can’t give it to the bank- it’s paid for! A planter? This pix was last year:, pretty much the same spot:
f1a55e507f63a94243c6bad428115910.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
Btw- those are such pretty bottles u got! I recognize the Belfast one, but what are the square ones? How do they look when u first get them out of the water? Cool rock, too!

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
IF FOUND IN THE WATER HOW COME NO SAND BLASTED DULL LOOK TO THEM?

Good question! My guess is this bottle sat buried in the riverbank for a long, long time, then current action & other factors eventually loosened the bank's grip on the bottle and it rolled out onto the riverbed. When I found it, the bottle didn't look particularly dirty ( as compared to other bottles in the vicinity ). It didn't suffer a long history of tumbling about the riverbed in a more rock-strewn, rougher environment, which tends to scratch & dull the exterior. Thus the condition of a bottle retrieved underwater is largely dependent upon the nature of the river itself, or the general conditions wherein it exists.

Here's a pic of another bottle, just found, that was found under 20" of soft bottom material in a lake; as you can see, it is almost perfectly clean! Bottles that exist in a sand environment underwater look similar. The other pic is a quart soda bottle found in a ( seasonally ) fast-flowing river, that was wedged in a crevice of a limestone bottom, strewn with rocks and boulders. It has the haze you speak of, as it's time underwater was more rough & tumble.

Hope that helps!

IMG_4471.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6882 (1).jpg
    IMG_6882 (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 105

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Btw- those are such pretty bottles u got! I recognize the Belfast one, but what are the square ones? How do they look when u first get them out of the water? Cool rock, too!

Thanks! The square ones are small medicine bottles with embossing on the side panels, the faces would likely have had labels at one time. Most of what I recover from the deeps are very dirty and require a lot of cleaning effort to make them shine again. I bring bottles like those to the surface and give them to friends & family who express a desire to display them, typically where sunlight pours in. I love the aqua blue colour!
IMG_4569.jpeg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky