Comprehensive Guide to all Glass Vernor’s Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

VernorsGuy

Reaction score
As far as I know the ones saying Food & Drug Act but not saying Guaranteed by James Vernors should come first & predate the ones saying Guaranteed by James Vernor. Regardless of bimal or abm. not sure the bimal versus abm is 100% accurate as predating the abm, makes sense that it should be but I don't think it always is. No pic of #15? my #15 has no Capacity or Contents listed probably predating the 1913 Gould Act that required it. LEON.
Thanks, Leon! Numbers 13, 14 & 15 are 1 pint 8 ounce bottles. Haven’t quite finished that part. Do any of your 10 ounce VGA embossed have no capacity listed? My current theory is maybe Vernor’s didn’t use 10 ounce bottles until 1906/07. I’m 98% positive he used siphons in 1896. So, it would make sense that his next move would be another large capacity bottle; the 1 pint 8 ounce bottle.

VernorsGuy

Reaction score
My bet is the bottom # is the date. The bottom molds are separate from the main molds, I thought.
It probably doesn’t matter, but on second look, my G looks like 28 not 23.
Thank you, MC! It’s interesting and maybe we can figure it out with more examples. The G numbers seem consistent (so far) in the 20’s, which is why I jumped to the date conclusion. However, I read that Owens Corning used a one digit date code. (Not that these are Owens Corning. I don’t know who made them.) Also killing my theory is one of the VGA bottles, which are for sure 1910’s or earlier, has a G 25.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Thanks, Leon! Numbers 13, 14 & 15 are 1 pint 8 ounce bottles. Haven’t quite finished that part. Do any of your 10 ounce VGA embossed have no capacity listed? My current theory is maybe Vernor’s didn’t use 10 ounce bottles until 1906/07. I’m 98% positive he used siphons in 1896. So, it would make sense that his next move would be another large capacity bottle; the 1 pint 8 ounce bottle.
Is there any like #15 that does have Contents size listed? my only 10 oz. with no capacity are the 1906 food & drugs act. SO, I'm guessing you may be wondering like me what Bottle did Vernors have in between 1896 & 1906? Was it only the Seltzer &/or Syrup Bottle or was there another Bottle similar to the 1906 Bottle but Predating it? LEON.

VernorsGuy

Reaction score
Is there any like #15 that does have Contents size listed? my only 10 oz. with no capacity are the 1906 food & drugs act. SO, I'm guessing you may be wondering like me what Bottle did Vernors have in between 1896 & 1906? Was it only the Seltzer &/or Syrup Bottle or was there another Bottle similar to the 1906 Bottle but Predating it? LEON.
I have an article from 1898 talking about James Vernor taking siphons of Vernor’s to the hospital. If he had bottles, he would have taken them! In 1900, his stationery still had a siphon on it. I have a one quart (1 pint 8 ounce) bottle with the diamond shaped paper label. It has no contents embossed or on the paper label. It’s also a BIMAL. Maybe that was his transitional bottle for a few years between siphons and those 1906 embossed bottles. The confusing part is, there is a 1911 trademark application for that diamond shaped paper label. But, it’s not the exact same label as the one on the bottle. And, I’m not sure Mr. Vernor was always prompt with his government paperwork!

VernorsGuy

Reaction score
Today someone from the Metropolitan Detroit Antique Bottle Club came over to look at my Vernor’s bottles. Together we came to this conclusion.
From 1896 to about 1904 Vernor’s used siphons. In 1904 he switched over to a 1 pint 8 ounce paper label BIMAL bottle with embossing only on the bottom. Around 1907 that bottle turned into an ABM. In 1911 the paper label changed slightly. In the 10 ounce size, those began in 1906/07 with the Food and Drugs Act embossing in BIMAL bottles. They still made the embossed bottles as late as 1931.

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Les Morris Beverages Ltd., Sarnia, Ontario had this quart. Early in my collecting I'd occasionally call Les Morris and ask about his experiences as a pop bottler. I asked him specifically about this bottle, and he noted that he got taken in by a glassworks salesman and ordered a whack of these bottles. Vernor's Canada, then in Windsor, I think, expressed their disastifaction to Les, as he had invalidated his licensing terms with repsect to not messing with Vernor's branding by noting his company name on the bottle. To keep bottling Vernor's, Les agreed to destroy all of the custom jobbies he could get back. A few, obviously, survived. They are very rare.

1643243737083.png
1643243744930.png
1643243751473.png

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora