Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Construction Site yields stoneware galore!

RIBottleguy

Mar 5, 2008
Providence, RI
I stopped by a construction site last Sunday and let's say it went much better than I anticipated! I had dug the same site about 7 years ago. It was a hard dig and it only dated to circa 1915. Fast forward and the site is torn wide open. They exposed a much older layer that was packed with bottles and stoneware. I was quickly joined by a friend, met two other diggers for the first time, and then a few more friends stopped by after digging somewhere else. My first find was an ovoid jug that miraculously missed getting hit by a bulldozer. We were teased with a few pontil shards but most of the bottles dates from the 1880s-1900, though the jugs were obviously older. The next day the spot was covered over, but hopefully not forever!

My friend's stoneware

A stoneware pitcher in situ

My finds!

The ovoid, no damage!

A Bunker Hill Pickles (during the cleaning process)

A nice lighter colored Hostetters

A large size boldly embossed Stephen Sweet's Infallible Liniment

CanadianBottles

May 24, 2014
Wow, those are stunning! That's a dream find for me. That Somerset jug is amazing, not sure I've ever seen one in that shape before.

sandchip

Sep 1, 2008
Georgia
Fantastic haul! I don't think I've ever seen a Bunker Hill with that much character. Nicely whittled!

yacorie

Dec 10, 2018
CT
Wow thats great. I've been stopping at every construction site that has any type of promise just because of posts like this.

Keep it up

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mmclaughlin2012