Cool but broken

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

buriedtreasuretime

Reaction score
A) Whatever the property owner wants...
B) If no property owner is involved there are a few options: When there is probable human or other animal contact after the dig bury the broken glass in one or more pits.
C) Remove it from the property and properly re-cycle it.
D) Gather time specific colored glass and offer it to glass blowers
E) Save bases. Smooth them out and sell as challenge coins, good luck collectibles, etc.
F) Let your imagination loose ;)...

Tumble it to make into beach glass, real period beach glass sells like hotcakes on eBay and Etsy. If you could figure out the grit to make it matte just like bleach glass you’d have a constant source of income.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frogmountain

Reaction score
A) Whatever the property owner wants...
B) If no property owner is involved there are a few options: When there is probable human or other animal contact after the dig bury the broken glass in one or more pits.
C) Remove it from the property and properly re-cycle it.
D) Gather time specific colored glass and offer it to glass blowers
E) Save bases. Smooth them out and sell as challenge coins, good luck collectibles, etc.
F) Let your imagination loose ;)...
I love these suggestions. I had no idea that glassblowers might want it. This site is absolutely riddled with bottle remnants from the 1880s. I find every piece fascinating and I've had so much fun tracking down the origins of shards. Been lucky enough to pull out a few unbroken keepers too.

Reactions: Len

Frogmountain

Reaction score
What do you do with all that busted glass??
Great question :) It's all old, like late 1800s old, so I feel bad about chucking it. It could have some historical value? Maybe?
I'm putting a lot of it in storage bins until I can decide what to do with it.

Hladnopivo

Reaction score
Great question :) It's all old, like late 1800s old, so I feel bad about chucking it. It could have some historical value? Maybe?
I think we've all had that dilemma. I've definitely wondered how old fragments could be recycled or repurposed. I think there are some good ideas here. I'm sure there are craftspeople who may be interested in this stuff. You might try giving it away on Craigslist or something like that.

Semar

Reaction score
Tumble it to make into beach glass, real period beach glass sells like hotcakes on eBay and Etsy. If you could figure out the grit to make it matte just like bleach glass you’d have a constant source of income.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This guy gets it. :cool:
Get a rock tumbler and some coarse grit, I can't begin to count the glass lamp bases filled with beach glass that I've seen in my years of living on the shore.

Newtothiss

Reaction score
To each his own, I suppose?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen